UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2014, 11:47 pm   #1
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Mains lead

Not sure this is the correct place for this post, but it relates to a Telequipment 'scope. I sold a DM63 and a D755 this week, so pulled out another one of each from my 17 year old stockpile.
I was just about to plug one in, when I noticed green liquor on the 13A plug. As soon as I removed its cover, it was obvious this was not OK. I suspect it is the result of moisture, copper wire and hydrochloric acid from the PVC wire insulation. I trimmed about 1-1/2" off the end of the lead and connected a new 13A plug.
I seem to remember this being spoken about many years ago. The lead in question is an original Telequipment lead, the one with the special flat Bulgin plug at the scope end. I don't think the leads have been available for about 25 years, so that fixes the minimum age of the lead.
Because of the unavailability of these leads, I frequently fit a blanking plate over the hole for the Bulging socket and hard wire with a restraining bush.
Would anybody care to comment?
Les.
Old 27th Feb 2014, 2:30 pm   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Mains lead

That's one to watch out for Les. Echoes the recent discussion about disintegrating cassette drive belts.
Old 27th Feb 2014, 2:51 pm   #3
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Not had that problem Les, and I've got a D75 that I use regularly, with its original lead. Perhaps its the salty air having the corrosive effect on the copper. I've recently rewired a boat and I know from experience the effect of salt water and copper. One to watch though.
Bill
Old 27th Feb 2014, 3:24 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

This is just the plasticiser coming out of the PVC. It is very common among fixed wire installations over a certain age. The only problem would be for the PVC to become brittle after a while which may expose conductors, otherwise it is harmless.
Neil
Old 27th Feb 2014, 6:50 pm   #5
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Ah! Good. Thanks NewLite4. I had visions of a big flash had I not shortened it. I must confess it did not "feel" corrosive, but that green colour looked like treacly verdigris.
Sold it today, so that is my last and final D755. One D63, one DM63 and one D67, then I will need to move on to my Cossor, 250MHz HP and a few more oddments.
Just sold my NordMende Tannhauser, so will soon have a tidier workshop.
Les.
Closed Thread