UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2013, 8:43 pm   #1
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Default Television collection on display to the public, in Republic Of Ireland

Hello everyone,
I have been collecting vintage televisions and a few radios for the past 14 years, some of the BVWS member's know me from going to shows and meetings. I haven't been that active for the past 8 years as i moved to southern Ireland got married bla bla bla. Anyway I have recently had the opportunity to open a museum in vacant shop space, the museum is all about packaging and advertising pre decimalization ie 1972, this has given me an excuse to put my television collection on display to the public for the first time. Almost all the sets are pre 1953 and there are around 20, in the attached pic all are not shown as are the radio's i also have associated material and advertising etc. The museum is in the village of Clane county Kildare about 20 mins drive west of Dublin. Its free to enter so if you are over for hols or based in ireland you are all welcome.
facebook page is as follows
www.facebook.com/packagingmuseum
look forward to hearing your reaction
Kind regards Grahame Parkes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6114.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	85197  
Old 18th Oct 2013, 9:03 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Television collection on display to the public, in republic of ireland

Very nice display Grahame.
Old 18th Oct 2013, 9:39 pm   #3
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: Television collection on display to the public, in republic of ireland

Nice display Grahame!

Just out of interest, are many/any of them workers?

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 18th Oct 2013, 9:43 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Grahame,

Good to hear from you again - I think you were in Biggleswade, when we last heard from you?

Nice to see you back.

Sean
Old 18th Oct 2013, 10:08 pm   #5
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Hi Greg thanks for the interest.

Yes, a few work( well 8 years ago anyway) the TV24 I restored fully and used to watch a good bit, the Pye b16t got a basic restoration. not all the caps got renewed but it was in good serviceable condition.
The TV22 worked without restoring but not great audio and the bakelite GEC is essential new. I had the chassis re tin-plated and built it all back up again.

Others have rasters and faults.
Now I have the motivation and a new workshop I might get back into the resto side again. All have been dry stored so have not deteriorated. Actually while I'm thinking of the sets the HMV1804 is missing its chassis so if there is one lying around looking for a home I would love to get hold of it.
Old 18th Oct 2013, 10:12 pm   #6
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Hi Sean
Good to hear from you, yes that was the family home you have a good memory, nobody is there now although my brother lives in Letchworth.
Is Hitchin market still going? It was a good hunting ground for sets.
Old 19th Oct 2013, 11:44 am   #7
Stuart R
Heptode

Hello Grahame,

Liking the look of your museum!

Hitchin Market is still up and running, with the antique/collectables on a Friday and a busy Boot Sale on Sunday mornings. Downside is that on the collectables day, you find dealers offering 'rare' DAC90As at rather high prices.

Fortunately, a lady has moved her antique business from Biggleswade (oddly enough) to the old FADS shop on the corner of Hitchin market. Quite a few project sets in there recently, so keep some space in your boot if you pop over for the weekend! There are a couple of pictures in the "Where to get sets and parts" section of this forum.

Regards,

Stuart.
Old 19th Oct 2013, 4:54 pm   #8
FRANK.C
Heptode

Hi Grahame
Great display.
I don't be up your side of the country very often, but next time I am I will call into the museum.

TV collectors are a very rare breed in Ireland, its great to see another.

Frank
Old 19th Oct 2013, 7:48 pm   #9
Pepelephew
Pentode

Hi Grahame,
I am in Prosperous, just down the road... I am more interested in Radio but it looks impressive...I will pop in and have a look
Bill
Old 19th Oct 2013, 11:35 pm   #10
crusher19860138
Hexode

Would these sets have been used in Ireland to watch the BBC before RTE started up?
Old 20th Oct 2013, 10:23 pm   #11
Andy Green
Hexode

The short answer is yes, there were many sets installed around the coastal areas and those in reach of the transmitters in the North of Ireland. There are still a few four element band 1 yagis on houses around to this day!
Not so evident now, but a feature that struck me when I moved here in the early 80's were the many huge (some up to 100 foot, although this sort of heights were more needed for UHF) of aerial masts on private houses with TV aerials on. (I built a few myself!)
They were made out of 10' or 15' lengths of 2" diameter pole, stayed at every join, the next section was hoisted up and plonked into the coupler at the top of the pole. I still have the claw type steel climbing shoes somewhere!

Hi Grahame,
Don't get up the M9 as much as I used to on work errands, but next time I do , I will see if I can divert slightly to Clane!

Andy
Old 21st Oct 2013, 10:00 am   #12
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Hi Frank, Bill and Andy please do call in to the museum it is accessed through Maries shop on main street Clane, and is open 10-5 Tuesday - Saturday and coming up to Christmas on Sunday (times to be organised)
To answer the question of weather these sets were used in Ireland before Rte began broadcasting in 1961, in short Alan's answer is correct, however only four of the collection have been found over here, the rest i brought over with me, (a whole transit full) My most recent addition is a 1949 Ambassador TV2 found locally.
Talking to my wife's family they recall getting a tv in 1956 and they lived in Tipperary (the midlands to the English based) so they must have had a beast of an aerial and a decent tv.
I think that certainly as with today there would have been a good bit of cross sea secondhand trade and tvs would have made there way across that way whilst they were hard to get hold of over here.
As a by the by i do have a brand new never opened boxed Gec Ireland tv dual standard so around 65 ish, christ knows how the two as there were two of them never got used!!
Old 21st Oct 2013, 12:16 pm   #13
irishtv
Triode

Grahame, you have a fantastic collection of sets there. I am from Dublin but have lived in London for nearly 30 years now and have a small collection of three working 405 sets. I would love to see the GEC Ireland set up and running at some point!

Have you come across any Irish made 625 VHF only sets in your travels? I would love to get my hands on a PYE Six Two Five set, once ubiquitous in Irish one-channel land.

Richard Logue
Closed Thread