UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:28 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Roberts R300 in Sky Blue

Hello again,

Ive managed to complete another radio This Roberts R300 in a never before seen colour which I bought off eBay was the subject of a thread or two here.... I think there were some doubts as to its authenticity. In fact it is absolutely genuine, the rexine is cut and fitted in the same way as all other R300s and it does look the right age. I even had it checked over by a Roberts collector of many years and he was convinced that it was genuine.

It was grubby so I gave the case a good clean in upholstery cleaner but on this occasion there were still some deeply ingrained grease marks so I shifted those with WD40 followed by a final clean with upholstery cleaner. The radio didnt work .... I tracked down the problem to an AF117, as usual, which had obviously been replaced before cos all the sheathing was missing, just bare wires ! so I replaced that with a new AF117 and away she went. No other work was required other than a good clean inside, and I replaced the yellowing badge with a nice new gold one.

I paid £76 for this R300, an awful lot, but it is in near mint condition and in a very unusual colour. Chatting to my Roberts collector friend, this one may have been a limited edition, or even a bespoke one made to order, which I gather Roberts would do, and still do, at a price.

Im delighted with it

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R300blue 001.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2714  
Old 8th Feb 2006, 7:33 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Roberts R300 in Sky Blue

Another excellent job Howard. You must have quite an impressive diaplay of restored sets by now!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Feb 2006, 7:43 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

How true Paul!
Old 8th Feb 2006, 7:54 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Could we have a pic of your Roberts collection 'en masse', please?
Old 8th Feb 2006, 10:11 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard
I paid £76 for this R300, an awful lot, but it is in near mint condition and in a very unusual colour.
I was watching it too and it went for more that I could really justify paying. I am glad to hear it is genuine. It looks better than my R300 too!

Sam
Old 11th Feb 2006, 12:18 am   #6
howard
Nonode

Thanks chaps,

I have over 120 vintage radios in near mint/mint/new condition and a pile of about 30 'needing attention'. All but three are transistor portables, the valve sets I have are a mint Bush MB60 and 2 lovely PYE P43s. Around 80 of my radios can be seen at ...

http://www.radiomuseum.org/

If you're a member of this Swiss website which has been mentionned here a few times then you can view them in fine detail as all the pics were taken with a Nikon 5.1 Mp camera, otherwise you can see just the thumbnails. On the home page click on collections, find me Craven, Howard (GB) on the first page of members, click on that and you'll be able to view many of my radios there.

Sometime I will do an article about this site, its absolutely amazing .... that is if youre into European, American and Japanese radios ..... sadly there are very few British radios there.

Howard
Old 11th Feb 2006, 7:32 pm   #7
avro
Heptode

Quote:
Thanks chaps,

I have over 120 vintage radios in near mint/mint/new condition and a pile of about 30 'needing attention'. All but three are transistor portables, the valve sets I have are a mint Bush MB60 and 2 lovely PYE P43s. Around 80 of my radios can be seen at ...

http://www.radiomuseum.org/Howard
Howard,

I just have to have one of these sky blue ones now . It looks super and I enjoyed seeing your collection on the Swiss site. I have been a member for about a year now although I do not drop in as often as I should.

Avro Cold and Wet nr Bruggen
Old 11th Feb 2006, 7:43 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
If you're a member of this Swiss website which has been mentionned here a few times then you can view them in fine detail as all the pics were taken with a Nikon 5.1 Mp camera, otherwise you can see just the thumbnails.
I'm not a member, but I can see all your radios full size

Very nice, Howard

Nick.
Old 12th Feb 2006, 9:11 am   #9
howard
Nonode

Hello Nick, Brian,

Well I never, Nick, I logged off the site and went back in as a visitor and I couldnt see them full size !

I hope you find a sky blue R300, Brian, when an item sells for a good price often others suddenly start appearing on eBay ....

Ive now loaded better quality pics of my TR82 radios onto the site by the way.

Howard

PS: I just tried again, it wouldnt let me view the first pic, but I then tried another and indeed I could then see them all !

Last edited by howard; 12th Feb 2006 at 9:34 am.
Old 12th Feb 2006, 10:42 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

OT Closed

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread