UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2009, 10:38 pm   #1
newtube
Triode

Default blowing rectifier valves

Hello fella's,

I have just finished building a single end valve amp and encountered a problem
When i power the amp up all is fine for about 7 seconds and then the rectifier valve crackles and sparks, thus blowing the fuse i put in the iec socket.

All looks ok in the circuit and it seems to be wired correctly, what would cause this to happen gents?

Its fine with the rec valve removed, and i tried a different rec valve and the same happened.

Thanks,
Darran.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:43 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: blowing rectifier valves

What valve is it?
Have you wired it right.
Are the smoothing caps in and are they OK?
Are the output valves (and others) OK and wired right.
Is the Mains Transformer OK and wired right.

Is it a kit or your own design?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:56 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

It certainly sounds as though you may have a short-circuit across the rectifier valve output - 7 seconds is about the time it takes for the valve's heater to warm up and start passing current. Do as Steve P says and check the wiring very carefully.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 13th May 2009, 10:56 pm   #4
newtube
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
What valve is it? JJ GZ34
Have you wired it right. Printed circuit board so ok there
Are the smoothing caps in and are they OK? all new and fitted well with correct polarity
Are the output valves (and others) OK and wired right. again, all new, 6l6gc.
Is the Mains Transformer OK and wired right. new hammond 373bx and seems wired corrctly

Is it a kit or your own design?
Based on a tubelab simple se board.

Thanks fella.

Cheers,

Last edited by Dave Moll; 13th May 2009 at 11:33 pm. Reason: broken quote corrected
Old 13th May 2009, 11:01 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Take the other valves out and see if it does it. If it does then check for solder bridges, output transformer, coil in between smoothing caps, etc.

Then put the valves in (Output valve last) and see which stage (or stages) are causing this.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 14th May 2009, 12:40 am   #6
paulsherwin

You almost certainly have a short circuit across the HT line. Valve rectifiers behave like this when subjected to serious overcurrent. Use a test meter to check the resistance - it should be very high.

Paul
Old 14th May 2009, 1:47 am   #7
Tim
Dekatron

A 60 watt lightbulb in SERIES with the mains might limit the current enough for you to find the fault. If it glows brightly you have a problem.
Old 14th May 2009, 7:06 am   #8
Whaam68
Hexode

Have you tried a different valve? I had something similar with a Russian valve that was duff.
Old 14th May 2009, 8:03 am   #9
HG MICKE
Pentode

Check the valve spec sheet,all valve rectifiers have a minimum anode limiter resistance.
This is measured from the anode to the centre tap of the transformer,add a fixed resistor in series with the anodes to bring the value up to the minimum qoted in the spec sheet.Also do not exceed the maximum reservoir capacitor value.

Colin
Old 14th May 2009, 8:43 am   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

We have all made mistakes when repairing or building electronic circuits. I would guess that this is a man made fault. First suspect is incorrect wiring to the main smoothing capacitor. If this is a printed circuit design, have you fitted it onto the board correctly?
Check the tag connections and make sure the negative tag goes to chassis and not the rectifier. What valves are used? I presume a valve rectifier such as the EZ81? Modern components often look similar. Daft I know but have you fitted a resistor into the position where a capacitor should be? I have been fooled by this in the past, even a diode?
You will need a very simple meter to trace this fault set on the standard ohms range. You will have to disconnect the supply from the rectifier cathode and check resistance to earth working through the choke/resistor smoothing arrangements and then on the the output stage. Possibly an incorrect connection on the output transformer? It appears to be a dead short so should be an easy one to trace. You will have to do it 'cold' to save whats left of the rectifier. Great suggestions from guys above. The use of a 60 watt bulb is a good investment. Hope you get it sorted. John.
Old 14th May 2009, 2:50 pm   #11
newtube
Triode

Ok fella's, i have my meter working but i'm not sure where and what i should be looking for, or in fact how to use the meter properly

Can you give me some pointers in what to check and how. . . like you would for a five year old!

Thanks again,
Darran.
Old 14th May 2009, 2:58 pm   #12
Station X

Set your meter to ohms and measure across the smoothing capacitors. The reading should be low initially as the capacitors charge and then rise to near infinity.

In your case you should find a low resistance and you'll then have to start disconnecting components to find where the problem is.

Posting a copy of the circuit would help.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.

Last edited by Station X; 14th May 2009 at 5:07 pm. Reason: Self censorship.
Old 14th May 2009, 3:06 pm   #13
Steve_P
Dekatron

Circuit and also both sides of the PCB. Then we can link the two.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 14th May 2009, 3:07 pm   #14
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Does the valve actually light up before the fireworks start? If not you might have the base wired incorrectly.
Old 14th May 2009, 3:16 pm   #15
Steve_P
Dekatron

I wonder if he knows the difference between Directly and Indirectly heated cathodes? Looking back at the thread, he is using a GZ34 rectifier.

Data sheet for GZ34 here:

http://www.hifitubes.nl/weblog/wp-co...ilips-gz34.pdf

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 14th May 2009, 3:27 pm   #16
newtube
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
I wonder if he knows the difference between Directly and Indirectly heated cathodes? Looking back at the thread, he is using a GZ34 rectifier.

Data sheet for GZ34 here:

http://www.hifitubes.nl/weblog/wp-co...ilips-gz34.pdf

Cheers,

Steve P.
To answer that. . . . . . no mate.
I think i'm in above my head
Old 14th May 2009, 3:30 pm   #17
newtube
Triode

Does this help guys?

http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE_schematic.htm
http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE_wiring.htm

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 14th May 2009 at 6:59 pm. Reason: Link to files at original location to avoid copyright violation
Old 14th May 2009, 3:46 pm   #18
Tim
Dekatron

Check you have both D1 and 2 round the correct way. Cathodes(the end with the bar) should be connected together.

Check wiring round rectifier valve(pinout etc. below) and for solder splats, bridges between tracks etc.I 'spose you have the valveholder soldered in the correct way round? Pin 8 should go to R2/C1/SW1

What happens if you use the semiconductor diode switch, (sw1)with the rectifier valve out and a lightbulb in series with the mains?

Valve pinout etc. here

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0997.htm

Good luck!

Last edited by Tim; 14th May 2009 at 3:54 pm.
Old 14th May 2009, 3:50 pm   #19
Steve_P
Dekatron

Pics of what you have made would come in handy too. Is that a home made PCB or one you bought?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 14th May 2009, 4:12 pm   #20
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

What is the purpose of the weird arrangement with the diodes in parallel with the GZ34? This is the first time I have seen such a circuit and it's not something I would have thought suitable to chuck at a beginner.
Closed Thread