UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2018, 3:55 pm   #41
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Don't try this at home

The "suicide showers" are universal in Central/Southern-American countries and a good slice of the Far East too.

Interestingly, the underlying principle - a bare-wire element in direct contact with the water - is used in a number of the little 'instant' electric hand-wash heaters available here in the UK.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 4:01 pm   #42
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs radios View Post

Has anyone seen those so called suicide showers, they are electrically heated shower heads where the water passes directly over the bare heater elements, apparently safe as long as you connect the earth wire which is in the heated water. Look up gadget addict channel on YouTube and also bigclive.com channel to see a demo of them.
It appears to be against the regs to fit those showers without a "tape bomb".
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...LcikG5c6yEmWM:
Old 1st Mar 2018, 5:24 pm   #43
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

The process of invention is fascinating.

Just how do you try to think up something new?
It's not so much the thinking-up of something new. it's our attitude towards it that swings things. Nothing is ever as good as what went before it. And, after years of grudging acceptance and then subsequent renewal / improvement / replacement, nothing is as good as what went before it!

In the 1990s, camera manufacturers went about developing a whole new camera (this was pre-digital photography) that was not the 'traditional' SLR shape. The magazines were full of it, but they flopped, badly, The nearest revolutionary thing was the Canon EOS which was a traditionally-shaped SLR with roundy edges.

And what do we have now? Cameras that are all technologically perfect and sophisticated beneath, but which exude the familiarity of a '70s Leica (which, back then, exuded the familiarity of a 1950s Leica).

And what happened to Saab's notion of replacing the steering wheel with a joystick? It was different! But we don't do different, because different is a change. And we don't like change.
My Austin old Allegro DID have a squarish steering wheel !!
Old 1st Mar 2018, 6:04 pm   #44

I have seen a meat pie heated in seconds from the output of a 110kW UHF TV transmitter. It was a very bad load, transmitter OK as the directional coupler and reflected power dummy load were there.

Old 1st Mar 2018, 7:54 pm   #45
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

My trusty old bowl fire can sure cook a nice omelette. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_184341.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	158475  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 8:44 pm   #46
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The "suicide showers" are universal in Central/Southern-American countries and a good slice of the Far East too.

Interestingly, the underlying principle - a bare-wire element in direct contact with the water - is used in a number of the little 'instant' electric hand-wash heaters available here in the UK.
Interestingly, a friend of mine is in Cuba this very week, and has posted a picture of just such a beast Her comment was ;'it only sparks when you turn it on'. It looks really nasty. If I can save a snap of it I'll add it.

Some years ago I did inherit a shower in the UK that I thought about fitting. But I looked inside and could see exactly what is described, a bare wire heating element in direct contact with the water, inside a clear tube which may have been glass or plastic. It just scared the out of me so got skipped I'm afraid.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 8:47 pm   #47
duncanlowe
Nonode

And here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28277370_10215131340707497_5320617158418705835_n.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	158478  
Old 1st Mar 2018, 10:24 pm   #48
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I guess that under normal operating conditions those showers are pretty safe - both ends of the element are immersed, and the element impedence is considerably lower than that of a human body. Where it fails, like so many of the items discussed here, is that potential fault conditions seem to be disregarded.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:10 pm   #49
McMurdo
Dekatron

not sure how the RCD holds in if it's used in the UK!
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 4:42 am   #50
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

That's one of the better ones!
I have seen a model that looks similar but has no back cover, just 2 wires sticking through a grommet, connected with a choc bloc taped to the pipe.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 4:52 am   #51
IanBland
Hexode

I recently managed to melt my toaster while using it as a handy heat source to bend perspex. Apparently the plastic case was designed to rely on copious convection for cooling which a large sheet of perspex above interrupts rather effectively.

Feel free to try this at home.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 12:04 pm   #52
Refugee
Dekatron

With those showers you are lucky to find a chock block in the tape bomb.
I am pretty sure most are just twisted.
I have never seen one without a tape bomb of some kind.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 2:52 pm   #53
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Many years ago when marshalling the Lombard RAC Rally through a Welsh forest-stage I heated-up canned Ravioli in an electric kettle. It was an old-style kettle with a handle, which restricted access abd stopped me doing the obvious thing of filling the kettle with water then standing the can in it while the water boiled.

The ravioli was a bit 'crunchy' with limescale, but at least it was hot.

I also know someone from my student days who used an electric kettle to boil his eggs and to heat-up 'boil in the bag' Kippers for breakfast. He then used the water to make tea. Ugh!
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 3:10 pm   #54
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
In the early 70's in the lab at HP (Owen L?),
David
Was that not a certain D. Dack or am I thinking of a similar but different incident?

Peter
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 4:34 pm   #55
Radio Wrangler

Ah, yes, it was indeed David!

It was definitely Owen at the centre of the hilarity over Peter G's home made isle of Lewis chessman replicas

Thanks, Peter

David
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 5:51 pm   #56
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
I also know someone from my student days who used an electric kettle to boil his eggs and to heat-up 'boil in the bag' Kippers for breakfast.
I remember having a Kambrook jug kettle which came with a basket for that purpose.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 6:05 pm   #57
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:

I also know someone from my student days who used an electric kettle to boil his eggs and to heat-up 'boil in the bag' Kippers for breakfast. He then used the water to make tea. Ugh!
As long as the eggs don't crack and the bag doesn't leak, why not? Saves boiling another kettleful.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 6:40 pm   #58
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
As long as the eggs don't crack and the bag doesn't leak, why not? Saves boiling another kettleful.
Eggs - even uncracked - leach a nasty sulphurous substance into their boiling-water: you can smell it if you sniff a pan of boiling eggs!

I just found the idea of boiling kippers in a kettle to be utterly revolting. Thankfully I always had my own kettle so no risk of cross-contamination.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 7:01 pm   #59
bluepilot
Heptode

In East Germany they had the famous WM66 washing machine. Not only did it wash clothes, you could fill it with water and use it to boil sausages or other things. It was useful for boiling fruit if you wanted to make jam for example.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 8:22 pm   #60
laceholes
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
I've used the paint sprayer attachments a number of times in the past, with quite acceptable results, but always worried a bit about solvent-laden air being drawn in and past the commutator...
The one I used blew air across the end of a small tube that dipped into the paint and thereby sucked it out. But it didn't come into contact with the commutator, it just blew out the end of the above tube.
Closed Thread