UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2015, 11:00 pm   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett 5th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The remaining examples would acquire scarcity value and sell at good prices at some stage.
Like the pre-war telly that sold for over £6000 today (commission bid).

There are usually several Bush DAC90 and DAC90A sets in every auction, normally a DAC10 or two, often a KB "Toaster" etc. Everyone who wants one has probably already got several, so they sell for very little (the nicest DAC90A today with an original mains connector sold for just £20).

There are always loads of uninspired 1940's-50's woodies too (often either tatty or over-restored) which tend to sell for no more than a tenner. How many of these do collectors really want, or have room for?

With the decreasing number of collectors (due to older collectors passing on and younger people not replacing them) supply is starting to exceed demand.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 6th Jul 2015, 1:24 am   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Thanks to Mike and his team for a very interesting day. The catering was up to its usual high standard.
I think many people are in the same small boat as me suffering from chronic lack of storage space. I could have afforded a lot more today but I just do not have any space left, it took me ages to find a space to hide those two small valved radios.
As long as the price of storage remains so high this problem will just get worse.
Old 6th Jul 2015, 7:41 am   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I could have afforded a lot more today but I just do not have any space left, it took me ages to find a space to hide those two small valved radios.
As long as the price of storage remains so high this problem will just get worse.
That sums it up really well.

Certainly around these parts, houses prices have gone from expensive to unaffordable, and the days of big houses with outbuildings or even unconverted garages and lofts seem to be over. Big houses are being pulled down and replaced with several small ones on the same site, all of which sell for almost as much as the original house did. So where is a chap meant to keep his radio collection?

I didn't even go today, in spite of actually being allowed time off from the family (a very rare event!) for precisely this reason.

I went last year and bought 4 sets, but I've only had time to restore one so far, which is another reason for not buying more.

But this sad situation has made me even more determined to come and support the event next year.

Nick.
Old 6th Jul 2015, 8:23 am   #24
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

As one of the stall holders, I spoke with several other stall holders and most felt that there were fewer buyers around than there used to be.
Some potential buyers were just looking for things that they could sell via the internet, and were only interested in the possible profit they could make.

I had a few items in the auction.
From a sellers point of view, prices were generally low.
However, it did enable me to buy a number of items that I couldnt have afforded if prices were the same as they were "way back".

Like many of us, it was only lack of space that prevented me buying more.

Overall, an excellent day, with the sales team (and Mike) working very hard, as usual.
Old 6th Jul 2015, 10:34 am   #25
threeseven
Octode

Another here with a space issue. Even with a 3 bedroom house all to myself I have almost run out of space. Additionally vintage electronics is not my only space hungry hobby.
Old 6th Jul 2015, 12:37 pm   #26
ajs37
Heptode

Thanks to Mike and the team for the hard work they all put in. Always a great event!

Space certainly is a factor in our hobby - I only stayed for the first few lots in the auction, then left because I knew I wasn't going to buy any more for lack of space (moving house) and I didn't want to get tempted!

I thought there were fewer people than is the norm and those that I spoke to agreed, but we couldn't identify why.

It would be great to see the younger generation taking an interest, question is, how best to go about this? It is a relatively cheap hobby (unless you collect the high-end stuff), but if anybody thinks they can make money from it, they are sadly mistaken - as we all know, vintage radios will sell for what people are prepared to pay at the time - and at this time the market is not good from a sellers point of view. So how do we create a market to promote Vintage Radio and TV to younger people? Ideas on a postcard please!

Thanks again!
Andy
Old 6th Jul 2015, 9:26 pm   #27
bikerhifinut
Octode

This was my first WB, I have only been a member since last october.
I didn't bother registering for the auction as i wasn't sure what it was all about and mainly I went to see some people i knew, and also see what went on. I did sit in on the first half of the auction with a friend and was kicking myself when the Quad ESL,s went for £200!
I also am unfortunately in the middle of trying to sell up and move house so can't really justify adding to the possessions right now.
I echo previous posters comments about house prices and the lack of space in modern properties, even in these parts.
I was surprised to see stuff go for what seemed to me to be virtual giveaway prices, as I am more used to buying gear via auction websites or Audiojumbles where the prices seem a lot higher.
I Hope i will be able to attend more of these gatherings in the future, and when I get my new abode sorted I can get going with a few projects that are on the back burner.
This old gear is a part of our history and when its gone we wont get it back.

Andy.
Old 6th Jul 2015, 10:21 pm   #28
ajs37
Heptode

The Quad ESLs were one of the reasons I left early (to avoid temptation) - 6 months ago, I would have jumped at them, but now, in the middle of moving house, definitely a no-no!
Old 6th Jul 2015, 10:45 pm   #29
bikerhifinut
Octode

They were in lovely cosmetic condition. Somebody got the bargain of the year there.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 10:17 am   #30
newlite4
Octode

Fantastic event as always, good to see so many good friends there. A long auction list but the lots seemed to sail by, Mike really got a good flow going. A bit stressed during the half hour stall set up with several people wanting to "pre-order" before the start, not fair on the buyers waiting outside really. I was almost left with an empty stall until I was about to pack up and Chris running the stall next to me generously passed on a couple of AVOs to me.
RWB is a very special event that is always one to look forward to in the vintage wireless calendar.
Neil
Old 7th Jul 2015, 10:57 am   #31
slidertogrid
Octode

I have been once before and enjoyed the day, but I didn't stay for the auction because it is a fairly long drive home. There was a couple of items that interested me but not enough to justify waiting until the end.
I had planned on attending this event as I had a T.V set to collect in the same area. Then a friend offered to collect the T.V for me so I changed my mind.
I have the same problem as others though, space!
Since the TV collection expanded rapidly my house just shrank!
I caught myself planning a shanty town of sheds in the garden, But resisted and have decided to try and curb the constant buying instead...
Things seem to come and go a bit as far as popularity is concerned. I collect and restore mainly TV sets now, ten years ago it was mainly radio's and twenty years ago only pre war radios.
Record players are popular at the moment, radiograms are slowly picking up from worthless, dual standard T.V sets (especially colour) don't do too bad.
Then things like grandfather clocks, Gramophones and phonographs seem to be down in price unless something really special.
Must be a generational thing, Buy Dansette...sell Edison...

Rich.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 12:03 pm   #32
hansomcommon
Pentode

Perhaps it may be time to open the BVWS auctions to members of this forum ( I may have to put on my tin hat for this) I was a member of the BVWS but never received my reminder so my membership lapsed, so I could not go or bid at RWB, this is a pity as I would have gone if I could have got in!
Old 7th Jul 2015, 12:10 pm   #33
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Can't you join on the door, or did I imagine that?
Old 7th Jul 2015, 12:51 pm   #34
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes you can go along as a guest and join or renew there. You can them take part in that day's auction.

Membership renewal forms are included with the Winter bulletins. These show whether you need to renew or are already paid up (if you were part way a three year term for example).

The membership secretary and his wife try to phone all lapsed members several times too. So it is difficult to miss your renewal unless your contact details change and you don't inform the membership secretary. If you don't look at the form and don't answer the phone there isn't any more they can do!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 7th Jul 2015, 1:21 pm   #35
audiomagpie
Heptode

Just to clarify.....

Non members/visitors ARE WELCOME at BVWS events. Come and see what we're all about - try before you buy! We have warm and friendly swapmeets at:

Royal Wootton Bassett (with auction)
Harpenden (with auction)
Golborne (no auction)
Punnetts Town (no auction)
See BVWS page for events dairy and locations: http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/diary.php

You do need to be a member, however, to obtain an auction bidding card. You can join or renew your expired membership on the day.

So we look forward to seeing you all soon!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 7th Jul 2015, 1:27 pm   #36
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sounds all very fair and straightforward to me.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 7:29 pm   #37
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Mike, Cobalblue has spelled it out exactly. I must admit I have lost 70% of my interest in vintage radio mainly due to the fact that there is little of interest to actually listen to on MW and LW.
Until quite recently I would construct a simple TRF receiver, winding my own coils and still get that thrill when connecting up and hearing those first signals.
There is very little of interest on MW here in W.Sussex and as for Radio 4 on LW, I certainly don't want to be educated anymore in the fashion of the BBC at the age of 66!
Entering my teenage years my interests were mainly inspired by the receivers, both radio and television that could be obtained from jumble sales.
These dated from the 1930's and 40's mainly and I had little interest in 1920's contraptions from an earlier period.
If we move on you can see why the young have no connections with radio and television receivers manufactured before approximately 1980. Would I as a young lad been interested in an electrical item manufactured 60 years before my time in 1901? I don't think so and it is exactly the same of the young today and I don't blame them.
Yes our fascination with vintage radio and television will not die but will be reduced considerably and as for prices..Don't expect to boost your pension by selling your old junk! 99% of it is just that, Junk!
Enjoy it for what it is as I intend to do and don't shed tears when you make an occasional loss. That is business. It's a very cheap and interesting hobby but it may not continue into the next generation or the pre teenage guys around today. Regards, John.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 7:51 pm   #38
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
.......there is little of interest to actually listen to on MW and LW.
With the exception of Radio 4 on 198kHz LW that is largely true, but isn't that why we build pantry transmitters? With you TV guys the situation is potentially much worse, there are no analogue 405 transmissions on VHF at all, hence the use of standards converters.
Old 7th Jul 2015, 8:21 pm   #39
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomcommon View Post
Perhaps it may be time to open the BVWS auctions to members of this forum ( I may have to put on my tin hat for this) I was a member of the BVWS
Not sure why being a member of a forum would qualify anyone

The BVWS needs its members to pay it's SUB's to enable these events to occur.

This forum is run by a BVWS member (Paul) but no one here is even helping Paul with his costs let alone the BVWS.

So if your suggestion is implemented we would all start to stop paying subs and the society would die, after all we all want something for nothing

So my suggestion is Pay up! Oh and smile

Cheers

Mike T
Old 7th Jul 2015, 8:55 pm   #40
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Mike was very clear there and I would very much agree with encouraging everyone to "pay up" and also, perhaps, supporting anyone in a rocky patch to retain their membership. This is my broader view-nothing to get over excited about though-

I've been a BVWS member for a long time. I'm not able to help with the hard work that others do on our behalf but I [obviously] think it's a good idea to support what I see as a National Organisation to represent everyone in this area. It's not just a satisfying hobby but also a conservation activity of the type -heavily funded in other areas eg the Arts. I'd make the point that I didn't actually join up for access to auctions or the truly excellent magazine so I'm not sure that it follows we might lose members in droves-not everyone has the same attitude perhaps

I do, however, understand the "Why should anyone get what I'm paying for?" argument but as Audiomagpie says there is room for flexibility and a need to be more inclusive, if only for self preservation

I think that there may have been some flash points years back when the market was high and dealers infiltrated meetings but that seemed to lead to an overreaction generally at the long standing auctions and within the membership. Given the state of things currently, as vividly described on this thread, there may be an argument for flexibility at individual auctions, especially if "civilians" have taken the trouble to turn up and boost the attendance. I suppose it's a matter of balancing the income garnered to support the Society against a possibly inflexible attitude. It's alright having principles if you can afford them

That's me

Dave

PS. I hope I've used the term" obviously" in a correct way there. It seems to be a symbol of "vocabulary lack" these days when it used as the first word of choice in a sentence, usually as an answer and when it isn't obvious at all. That's me being inflexible! I didn't know the emoticons would line up so well.

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Jul 2015 at 9:07 pm.
Closed Thread