UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2014, 12:36 pm   #21
brianc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: BVWS Royal Wootton Bassett - 7th Dec 2014

I bought the 703 at the MBL auction for a song! The hammer price was £3.5K! I didn't understand it at the time as a Baird T14 made £16.5. Just luck, I suppose.
Old 8th Dec 2014, 12:36 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I believe the successful bidder's maximum commission bid was around the same sort of figure as the Bonhams ones, but of course the actual price it sold for was one bid step above the next highest commission bid. Obviously a serious collector who really wanted it and was prepared (and able) to pay for it.

So, as in any auction, it was down to the number of interested parties and what they were prepared/able to pay.

The difference there was probably due to the amount of exposure and promotion an auction house like Bonhams are able to do, compared to the BVWS. Against that, bear in mind how much Bonhams would charge in fees, commission and VAT etc.

Edit: Brian's purchase above shows how wildly the prices of such rare items vary, so how difficult it is to actually value them.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Dec 2014, 1:03 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very interesting.

I have to say that the whole event seemed to run like clockwork, a tribute to the organisers.

Could I make a suggestion about the car park though, please, mainly for the benefit of newcomers.

If it could be done without too much trouble, a "FULL" sign could be posted when there are no more spaces. This would mean that people like me wouldn't drive into the car park, find it full, and then mess around for what seemed like ages trying to get out again. It might also stop people driving in when it's full and resorting to parking in inappropriate places, which would save Mike from having to make an announcement over the Tannoy to ask them to move.

I now realise that to park in the official car park, you really do have to arrive very early, which is fair enough. Parking in the residential side streets was very easy indeed, though I bumped into one poor chap who looked quite shaken, having been shouted at by an elderly resident who had given him a very hard time because he "didn't even live round here"!

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 8th Dec 2014 at 1:18 pm.
Old 8th Dec 2014, 1:11 pm   #24
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I would like to emphasis (and add my thanks for) the work put in by the BVWS team.
Getting the stage filled on the preceeding night must have involved a lot of heavy work.
Even so, on the day, they were busy and Mike, in particular, was working flat out all day.

As for parking, I used to park in the side roads (often at the end of Old Court) but now arrive early enough to park in the main car park.
Yesterday, due to a low volume of traffic, I arrived at 8 o'clock, and several others were there before me.

A good day, and I met a number of members, but had limited time to talk to them.
Old 8th Dec 2014, 1:12 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I did place a bid for the Mastergram, but nothing like the 11K figure, although my bid was for many Kilopounds.
Never mind, you never know another one might turn up someday.

DFWB.
Old 8th Dec 2014, 2:17 pm   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Well Brian got one for £3.5k so you never know, you could get lucky somewhen!

With the car park I think it was worse than usual because it was an especially busy event. I arrived around 8:45am and was surprised how full the car park was then.

As for the grumpy resident on the neighbouring street - he doesn't own or have any extra rights to park on the road outside his house, and I would have had no hesitation in telling him so!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Dec 2014, 8:14 pm   #27
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
As for the grumpy resident on the neighbouring street - he doesn't own or have any extra rights to park on the road outside his house, and I would have had no hesitation in telling him so!
You're right of course, but I think the person concerned was an elderly, disabled lady, so it having a go at her in the middle of a residential road probably wouldn't have been good publicity for the BVWS
Old 8th Dec 2014, 8:50 pm   #28
Timvintage
Pentode

I'm so glad it all went well. I'm sorry that I had to miss it this time, but hopefully will be able to come next year. I never really even knew such a sale as this existed till last week! However, I am trying to have a clear out at the moment, and I know that if I had come, I wouldn't have been able to resist buying some stuf... obviously! I'm so looking forward to the next one!
Old 8th Dec 2014, 8:51 pm   #29
Cobaltblue

That was one busy meet

Very enjoyable though and I was chuffed to have expanded my collection of Cossor ephemera and advertising material.

A few more holes plugged!

As always a pleasure to meet up with fellow members.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 8th Dec 2014, 9:19 pm   #30
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I do wonder if the bonhams event saw a number of sets go to general collectors as opposed to TV collectors; it would explain why if it had a Baird badge it fetched a lot more money, as well as (to old radio/tv people) the almost random hammer price of other stuff (£600 for a Stargazer ? Yet Pye VT2 almost given away).

Anyhow I got to the event later than planned so parked in the sidestreets - no angry locals and TBH I think the short walk did my gammy leg some good as it is a lot better today.

It's always a great event and this was no exception. However it is sad to see just out of fashion so many sets have become particularly the 30's; I bought a nice 30s Philips woodie that I've always liked but in the knowledge that it'll mean scrapping a couple of similar vintage Philips I have that would need refinishing. Also bagsied a Philips 209, slight chip in the glass but a fiver ! Thats a lot less than the one I bought years ago minus glass / knobs / some mechanical bits for many times that fiver. Between the two a nice set will emerge.

Had intended to buy both Cossor 916's in the auction as I'm absolutely desperate for tubes for my Etronic sets which use a cossor tube, but settled for the one "bitsa" set as that makes it so much easier to scrap it.

As for the Bush TUG12B with instructions and receipt - and nasty scratches on the top curtosy of the careless who turned round the Baird that was sat on top of it - what can I say, a fiver !

Finally a TV by Puratone (listed as a Dynatron); not a pretty set by any means, but until now I've only known of the brand because I came across a blueprint of a schematic for one.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 8th Dec 2014, 9:33 pm   #31
Cobaltblue

Yes I have to thank Jon for not bidding on both 916's

Thanks Jon

Cheers

Mike T
Old 9th Dec 2014, 2:10 am   #32
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Had a great day and would like to thank Mike Barker and the rest of the team for their hard work. The catering was up to its usual high standards.
I came away with an old Labgear VHF/UHF aerial distribution amp, a nice Bush TR230, which I am listening to now, a service sheet for my Grundig YB210, and from the auction a small Ecko U159 which is in good condition and works. All of this for under £20.
Old 9th Dec 2014, 8:59 am   #33
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
a nice Bush TR230, which I am listening to now,
Ah, so that was you! It was me who was looking over your shoulder admiring how shiny it was
Old 9th Dec 2014, 11:01 am   #34
Panrock
Nonode

A great day - the place was heaving by the time I first turned up. As ever I was amazed by the sheer stamina of Mike and the team, keeping going tirelessly all day.

Lastly, an apology to the gent whose arm I jarred in the canteen and whose tea ended up all over the floor! Anyone here?

Steve
Old 9th Dec 2014, 11:17 am   #35
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello Steve,

I was the person who was holding the tray of hot drinks. Apology gratefully accepted and no permanent damage was done!

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 9th Dec 2014, 11:21 am   #36
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Ah, so that was you! It was me who was looking over your shoulder admiring how shiny it was
That's a pity would loved to have a chat with you. Perhaps we should wear ID badges to these occasions. That TR230 is in good working condition with only minor cosmetic work required, I forgot that this uses the TAD100 IC and shall enjoy comparing it with my TR130. I do like the 247m preset as Absolute is one of my favourite stations.
Old 10th Dec 2014, 10:26 am   #37
Mark James
Hexode

I was the fortunate buyer for the B&W DM3 speakers. They sound really good. I have the brochure from the B&W site but does anyone have the owners or service manuals - I am unable to locate them even on the "pay" sites.

Mark
Closed Thread