UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2014, 10:17 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Cassette Deck in B&O Beocenter 4600 not recording

Having removed the mechanism from the above music centre to change the drive belts, I refitted it only to find that even with the record button pressed the machine is still in 'Play' mode. In order to dismantle the mechanism to service it, a bar incorporating a swivrelling lever which pushes the R/P switches over has to be removed, but I'm 99.9% certain I refitted this correctly. The Record button pushes this assembly over when operated, so it would appear so. In the 4600 the PCB remains in the cabinet when the deck is removed, and, when refitted it's impossible to see underneath to check what's (not) happening, but I don't see how the deck can be incorrectly remounted. What am I doing wrong??
Old 13th Mar 2014, 2:10 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Cassette Deck in B&O Beocenter 4600 not recording

The end of the lever has to engage on the switch properly. It is an easy mistake to make but there should be no difficulty in reassembling this; I have done it many times without incident.
Old 12th Apr 2014, 9:01 am   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've come back to the Beocenter after leaving it for about 3 weeks, but am still having problems. Twice I've managed to align the lever with the switch correctly, only to find that when I put the top cover back on the deck, the record function wasn't working again, once because the sets crew on the lever assembly had worked loose, but having re-set & sealed it, the same still happened. I've even checked the position of the two brackets which secure the deck to the chassis/cabinet, having had to remove the front one (with the rec/play lever assy) to change the drive belts, to no avail. The position of the deck in the cabinet seems extremely critical. On one occasion I thought I had it 'sussed', only to find that the deck top cover fouled the pause button. Although I've worked in the repair trade for over 40 years, 23 of them full time, I've never serviced one of these machines before. The manual doesn't give any guidance on correctly aligning the deck to the cabinent, either!
Old 15th Apr 2014, 8:01 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Still problems!

Having at last got the cassette mech properly aligned with the rec/PB switches, and tried it several times, I was about to put the cover on the tape deck, tried it one more time.
It was recording OK, according to the level induicator, but when switched to Play, only a noise was audible, with the volume control at high level. No tape, evn a pre-recorded one, will play.

I didn't realise, before the above fault happened, that the screen of the erase head lead had broken away from the pin on the head. Resoldered it, but the no playback fault still persists.
Reluctantly I removed the mech. again, in order to check the rec/pb circuit panel. Haven't found the cause of the fault, and, to add insult to injury, the Rec Level slider knob has become detached from the cord drive which operates the rotary level pot.

It would appear to be a right PITA of a job to hook the cord back into the slider knob. Does anyone know the best way to do this?
Old 17th Apr 2014, 10:57 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

To answer my own question it appears from further perusal of the manual, that, in order to refit the slider to the drive cord referred to in post#4, and all other slider controls to their pots., etc., the front trim has to be removed, along with possibly the side panel. Virtually impossible in the case of the 4600 I'm renovating, unless I drill out one of the fixing screws, which is stuck fast. I was hoping not to have to do this anyway, but it looks like a case of 'needs must!' This info. may be of use to anyone else working on a Beocenter of that era.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 11:57 am   #6
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Does the screw go into metal or plastic.Unless you have already drilled the offending screw, have you tried heating it with the tip of a soldering iron, worked for me on many occasions.
Mike
Old 18th Apr 2014, 12:31 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I haven't drilled out the screw, or tried heating it yet, Mike. It's a small CSK (Countersunk)threaded screw, which, AFAIK, screws into a metal braket. The 'silver' front panel is, AFAIK, Aluminium.
Closed Thread