UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2009, 11:46 pm   #21
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Marconiphone MRP1 - Earthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
Fortunately I did take a few photos before starting, so if I've made a gross error I should be able to find it.
Doing that, if I may say so, was a very wise move - and something I do frequently when wading into complex comms. receivers. Making notes on a note-pad is better than relying on the ol' memory (especially when the grey cells are getting on a bit! ), but - as the saying goes - a picture is worth a thousand words.
Not only is taking photos - as a guide - to the re-build / "what the did I do?" scenario invaluable, but by taking initial 'before' and final 'after' pics. this does enable you show the World what you've done - like on this Forum, for example! Plus, all the pics. of the item in its various states of dismantlement can then be down-loaded to the PC for future reference - and by adding all the measurement data & test procedures you used in an associated file on the PC, you can slowly build your own maintenance manual - like when the next one comes along (there's always a next one!) or when routine servicing is required.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:31 am   #22
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Marconiphone MRP1 - Earthing

Graham/Al,
That's my methodology as well. I take lots of photos as I go along. Also, being an old bureaucrat, I start a file for the project. The only thing I find 'not easy' is collecting together and printing the useful Posts I get in the relevant Thread.
Alan
Old 19th May 2009, 2:34 pm   #23
GrahamN
Hexode

Default Re: Marconiphone MRP1 - Earthing

While waiting for a new stylus, I tried the (very) old one on an old record, and could only get a very low volume even with the volume control turned up to full. At first I assumed I had made another error with the amp, but in the end it turned out that one of the cartridge leads had actually broken.

I've never come across this before, but it seems as though a very low signal was actually getting into the amp via a single wire...

Anyway - just need to wait for the new stylus now, plus a general clean and service of the deck (which seems pretty good in any case) - then I need to try and find some new hardware for the case as the catches were missing, and the hinges and handle end covers were very rusty.

As the amp now seems to be working well, I've decided not to change the rectifier at the moment, and have gone with the 1A fuse in the plug rather than an extra internal fuse.

Thanks again for the help.
Closed Thread