UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2009, 9:56 am   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Philips CD200 Distortion

In a moment of weakness I acquired this Philips CD200 from the NVCF last week, when the price had plunged to £20. Unfortunately it produces very distorted audio. I wondered if the laser itself was past it- although it appears to locate tracks and play them happily enough. I did check that the lens was clean.

Any thoughts or ideas gratefully received!

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	25489  
Old 17th May 2009, 10:02 am   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Philips CD200 Distortion

If it locates and plays tracks the laser is probably OK. The problem is probably in the analogue section or the D-A converter.

I don't know this player but from the look of it it could be a first generation one and it is posible that the CD73 manual may cover most of the circuit. Howard may be able to confirm or deny this.

I have the CD73 service manual which I can send you if you wish.

Keith
Old 17th May 2009, 11:44 am   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Is it on one channel or both?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th May 2009, 12:43 pm   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

If the distortion is on both channels or there is significant hum present check all the power supply electrolytic caps. These are a known issue in the CD73 as they are located next to the PSU heatsink which runs hot. They should be replaced with caps rated at 105C rather than their original 85C rating.

Keith
Old 17th May 2009, 1:46 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes. Power supplies are the first thing to check. Maybe the supply to the DAC's is wrong which will give distortion on both channels. memory is a bit hazy on these now and I no longer have service information but I think there is a 'filter' chip just before the DAC's (possibly SAA7000 from hazy memory)? I know I've had this chip fail in the past causing distortion on both channels. It's very unlikely to be the laser for the reasons already stated by Keith.

Rich.
Old 17th May 2009, 6:59 pm   #6
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. The distortion is indeed on both channels. I'm relieved the laser is probably OK. I don't think the player has been used for some time and I'm not convinced it's been very well stored. I'll have a delve inside over the next few days.

Steve
Old 17th May 2009, 7:20 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello Steve,

I didn't see that CD player at the NVCF. It is very similar to the Marantz CD63, CD73 and Philips CD100 and CD300 machines and replacement of the 100uF 25v and 100uF 50v capacitors on the -18v rail in the power supply will probably cure the noisy audio. Do check the voltages of all the rails though, and for peace of mind consider replacing all the capacitors in the power supply and check the voltage regulators. If the audio is still noisy, I guess it could be the SAA7030 filter, I've just ordered a couple of them, and one may be fitted into my Marantz CD-63B which again is similar to this Philips machine as that has spurious distortion on audio.

The CD-73 power supply write-up is here ....

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38391

Howard

Last edited by howard; 17th May 2009 at 7:25 pm.
Old 17th May 2009, 7:56 pm   #8
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks Howard, that's very helpful.

The CD player came with a large hardback plastic moulded presentation folder which originally contained a test CD, a cleaning cloth, the transit screws and various manuals. Only one transit screw and the user manual remain, but it's still interesting. Also, note the attached pics which show a very low serial number and a sticker on the rear of the machine...

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	25523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	25524  
Old 17th May 2009, 11:26 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Wow!...A factory sample! No wonder the serial number is low. These machines were a bit of a 'bitsa' (bits-a this and bits-a that)! Philips supplied these as dealer demonstration items ahead of the full production versions. They worked OK but may have been a bit 'flakey' on certain functions. Very often you find that little sub-panels were wired in or 'piggy-backed' over certain chips to correct functional errors before the software was finalised.

Interesting that some of these have survived.

Rich.
Old 18th May 2009, 6:27 pm   #10
PJL
Dekatron

Back in the 80's I bought a pre-production video through the staff shop when I did some work for Philips. Lasted about 12 years and worked better than any I have owned since.
Old 18th May 2009, 7:37 pm   #11
Jac
Heptode

Good machine, the CD200 !

As previous posts already stated, most likely you will find that some electrolytics have lost their capacity and have a largely increased ESR.
C2470 (100uF-25V) is notorious in the CD200, as well as C2471 in the CD202.
It is best to replace all of them (in the power supply part near the heat sink).
There are not that many, and any reasonable quality electrolytic will do.
The capacity value is not critical either. If you do not happen to have an identical replacement, just take the next higher value.

Good luck with this nice piece of history, which appears to be very well preserved.

Jac
Old 18th May 2009, 8:22 pm   #12
Colourstar
Octode

Thanks all. A trip to Maplin tomorrow for a few caps then!

Steve
Closed Thread