UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2009, 12:51 pm   #1
jimpink
Retired Dormant Member

Default 5 din pin to twin phono...

Is it possible to wire a lead with one end a 5 din pin connector and the other twin phono connectors. And if this is possible what should I be aware of?

I've never done it before but the leads are available so it shouldn't be impossible.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:56 pm   #2
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 5 din pin to twin phono...

Errr
I thought you could buy them. Of course, it depends on which pins you want to connect to on the DIN, and which DIN.
Alan
Old 16th May 2009, 1:03 pm   #3
jimpink
Retired Dormant Member

I realise that you can buy them but I need a back up plan in case the one I order doesn't arrive in time.

I was disappointed when Maplin didn't have one in store this morning.
Old 16th May 2009, 1:08 pm   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Ah, so.
Well, I've done it a good few times without any real problems. It's fiddley, and I always wondered how the far eastern companies managed it for the money. I found putting the DIN plug/socket (you didn't say which) 'up' in a small vice made it a lot easier.
Alan
Old 16th May 2009, 1:13 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes, but there are 3 different ways to wire up such a lead.

(1) Mono in and out: one plug to pin 1 and 4 together (mono in), other plug to pin 3 and 5 together (mono out).
(2) Stereo in (from amplifier with phono sockets to recorder with DIN socket): one plug to pin 1 (LH), other plug to pin 4 (RH).
(3) Stereo out (from recorder with DIN socket to amplifier with phono sockets, or from device with phono sockets to amplifier with DIN socket): one plug to pin 3 (LH), other plug to pin 5 (RH).

In all cases, pin 2 of the DIN plug goes to the outer shielding. Note that the pin ordering is 1-4-2-5-3. They are labelled, but you will probably need a magnifying glass to see the numbers. On most tape recorders, pins 1 and 4 are low-level, low-impedance inputs; pins 3 and 5 are outputs and also behave as high-level, high-impedance inputs.
Old 16th May 2009, 1:17 pm   #6
jimpink
Retired Dormant Member

It's the din plug that needs wiring, I have the plug and an old twin phono lead to work with.

So which pins do I wire to? Does it matter or is there a guideline I should be following?
Old 16th May 2009, 1:18 pm   #7
Station X

Read post #5. You know what the lead's for we don't.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th May 2009, 1:22 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

What is the DIN plug supposed to be connected to? Sockets on different devices are wired differently.

With an amplifier: pins 3 and 5 are the left and right inputs respectively; and on the "tape" socket only, pins 1 and 4 are the left and right outputs respectively. Pin 2 is ground.
With something that is meant to plug into an amplifier: pins 3 and 5 are the left and right outputs respectively; and if it is a tape recorder, pins 1 and 4 are the left and right inputs respectively. Pin 2 is ground.

To plug a device into an amplifier, you need a straight-through wired lead. To connect two tape recorders together for recording from one to the other, you need a lead with 3->1 and 5->4.
Old 16th May 2009, 1:23 pm   #9
jimpink
Retired Dormant Member

Got it.

Perfect.

Thanks ajs_derby for the guideline, it's exactly what I needed.
Old 16th May 2009, 1:33 pm   #10
jimpink
Retired Dormant Member

I'm trying to connect a dj mixer to an old amplifier which has a auxiliary din socket. The mixer will have two dj turntables connected to it.

what do you mean by straight-through wired lead? I assume this is what I need?
Old 16th May 2009, 3:36 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Straight through wired refers to a lead with DIN connectors at each end where the wiring is pin for pin, as opposed to crossover where in goes to out and vice versa.

For your lead (DIN to phono) it's not relevant (or trivial) since any connection to a single phono plug is straight through by definition.

Chris
Closed Thread