UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2009, 2:49 pm   #21
howard
Nonode

Default Re: More Marantz CD73 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
The PSU is probably the easiest part to remove, quite fortunate really. I've just opened up my CD73 to refresh my memory. The clips should slide off, with a bit of gentle persuasion. Try using a screwdriver to lift the clip and slide it up towards the top of the heatsink. Take care not to damage the plastic spacer/insulator. I can't remember exactly how the spacers are fitted as it was nearly 14 years since I replaced the LM317. You probably don't need to replace it just check on the amount and condition of the heatsink compound and insulating washer. I suspect in mine it had either deteriorated or there wasn't enough to transfer the heat to the heatsink. Keith
Many thanks Keith for taking your CD73 PSU out to answer my query. Just one last question, can you remember if the connector top left of the board in the pic pulls off or is it fixed onto the board ?

Howard
Old 1st Feb 2009, 3:24 pm   #22
KeithsTV
Nonode

From memory the connector is hard wired as are most of the interboard connections. When I replaced the LM317 I just removed the PSU from the chassis as you have done leaving all the wiring in place. It's slightly more awkward but saves having to remember where all the connectors go. I'm sure I ran the player with the PSU out of the chassis, to check the voltages, just needed to ensure the pcb didn't touch the chassis.

Keith
Old 1st Feb 2009, 6:38 pm   #23
howard
Nonode

Thanks Keith,

We weren't sure if it came off or not so didn't attempt to prise it off. It would've made the PSU easier to work on if it had come off.

Howard
Old 5th Feb 2009, 11:45 pm   #24
koksgxxx
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Thanks Keith, Richard,

I do have a CD73 service manual thanks. If the CD73 does get sorted then I'll do an article about it cos I think this a common problem with the first generation Philips machines, touch wood my Philips CD100 is still going strong.

Howard
Hello Howard,
I'd be very gratefull if you would be so kind to e-mail me the cd73's service manual.
I own this /master/ piece, in a full working order, but would like to have it a bit ''upgraded'', if possible of course. A friend of mine is to do it, but needs a scheme.

Thx and enjoy your 73
Old 10th Feb 2009, 7:34 pm   #25
howard
Nonode

Hello koksgxxx,

My CD73 service manual is a 27Mb PDF so it's too large to Email I'm afraid. Sorry about that.

I should leave your CD73 original, it needs no upgrading, it's an excellent machine asis.

Howard
Old 10th Feb 2009, 7:43 pm   #26
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
From memory the connector is hard wired ......
Keith
In fact it comes off (with a bit of care), which makes the overhaul of the PSU much easier.

All the electrolytic capacitors in the 18v rail have now been replaced and the crackling and hum has all gone. The old 2 x 100uf caps tested at 4.5uf and 40uf !

Howard
Old 4th May 2009, 12:59 am   #27
kafka11
Retired Dormant Member

Red face Re: More Marantz CD73 problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Hello again,

My old 1983 Marantz CD73 is playing up again When first switched on it hums loudly on both channels. When played it continues to hum and crackles on both channels. After a couple of minutes the hum subsides, the crackling continues on both channels but after a bit longer the crackling stops on one channel and eventually on both and the machine then works fine.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong with the old thing please ?

Howard
Hi Howard,
am new to this forum,would love to find out where to take my marantz CD73 for repair, as its suffering from the exact same problem as yours, loud hum followed by crackling, its driving me nuts as i loved listening to it, i am based in London, any details would be greatly appreciated, and for the record i think its an astonishing sounding player and cant wait to have it up and running again.
Old 4th May 2009, 7:12 pm   #28
howard
Nonode

Hello Kafka,

The only repairer of old hi-fi that I know of in London is Mike Solomons ...

http://www.londonsound.org/

However CD players aren't mentionned on his website although he might do just the power supply.

If not, you can bring or send the CD-73 down to Godalming and we can check the power supply and if it's faulty we could repair it for you.

Send me a PM if the above can't accomodate.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 4th May 2009 at 7:38 pm.
Old 10th May 2009, 2:16 pm   #29
kafka11
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Howard
Appreciate the info, will be calling Mike Solomons first thing Monday, after reading numerous troubleshooting forums on the cd73, the power supply is looking like the main culprit, will let you know how i get on with MS, and once again thanks for the help.
regards Kafka.
Closed Thread