UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:07 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Garrard Autoslim in Dansette Conquest

Hi, I know I have been posting a lot of threads lately but I have a question, and I cant seem to find an answer - so here I am.

I want a 1960s record player (autochanger) and I'm drawn to Dansette Conquest's. (I know these aren't the most loved, but I love the design and 60s-ness of them)

My question is can a Garrard Autoslim be installed in a Conquest? I don't really like the BSR decks Dansette offered in conquests. I know Dansette did offer Autoslim's in their Tempo range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GARRARD-AUTOSLIM-1962-Vintage-Record-Player-Deck.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	168122  
Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:34 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard Autoslim in Dansette Conquest

Yes, it would fit into a Dansette "Conquest", but it would mean you would need to remove the quite adequate BSR UA8, UA12, UA14 or UA15 that might already be fitted and as result destroy its originally. And of course you would need to make a new motor board cut-out. Also in this type of player, would would hear no sonic difference. So I would not advise you do this. Ideally you could buy a Dansette "Hi Fi" which has a good quality Garrard AT6 fitted and this is based on the more basic "Autoslim".
Old 26th Aug 2018, 5:00 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Yes, it would fit into a Dansette "Conquest", but it would mean you would need to remove the quite adequate BSR UA8, UA12, UA14 or UA15 that might already be fitted and as result destroy its originally. And of course you would need to make a new motor board cut-out. Also in this type of player, would would hear no sonic difference. So I would not advise you do this. Ideally you could buy a Dansette "Hi Fi" which has a good quality Garrard AT6 fitted and this is based on the more basic "Autoslim".
Yeah, that is the main thing that holds me back is the originality, but I really would like a conquest, but I don't really like the BSR decks. I could easily make a new motor board cut out. The "Hi Fi" series don't really appeal to me as much, I just think the Conquest with its controls horizontal is so much nicer.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 10:40 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'd be interested to know what it is about BSR Decks that 'INH' doesn't like. IMHO the earlier ones - up to the end of the 'UA' series were decently made - capable of reasonably good performance, and comparable to contemporary Garrards.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 10:46 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Similarly, Garrard decks up to when Plessey took over were solid, reliable machines. After the takeover, with the introduction of the Autoslim and it's derivatives, built quality fell dramatically.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 10:54 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
I'd be interested to know what it is about BSR Decks that 'INH' doesn't like. IMHO the earlier ones - up to the end of the 'UA' series were decently made - capable of reasonably good performance, and comparable to contemporary Garrards.
I'm not sure, I just don't really like the design as much, the design I do like shows up rarely on eBay and when it does, it isn't cheap either. It's not sound reproduction or anything like that, its just design. That's just my opinion though.

It's the UA12 I like, and the UA14, a little bit.

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 26th Aug 2018 at 11:02 pm.
Closed Thread