UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2018, 6:26 pm   #1
Simon376442
Triode

Default Ferguson 3026 speaker

I need to replace the speaker on a 3026 record player.
Manual says, 8ohm, 4 x 6 speaker.
Amplifier is 5watt output.
Can I use a speaker of a higher wattage or must it be 5watt?
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 6:38 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Ferguson 3026 speaker

Hi,
You can use a speaker of a higher wattage, as long as the impedance is correct (8ohms).
Cheers, Pete.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 6:42 pm   #3
Simon376442
Triode

so a higher wattage won't blow the amplifier then?
It just means that the speaker won't work to its full potential
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 6:54 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Your request is confusing. The Ferguson 3026 record playe ruses an 8" x 5" speaker rated at 5 watts in a sealed enclosure. Also, a higher wattage will not damage your amplifier at all. Do not confuse a speaker with the kind of volume it can make.
For example, a 10 watt rated speaker will not sound any "louder" than a 5 watt rated speaker. It just means it can handle more power if needed. It's very rare for a speaker to fail - what makes you think it has failed?
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 7:27 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

According to the trader sheet: https://www.service-data.com/section.php/2619/1/3026
The HMV, Marconi and Ultra badged players do have 8x5 speakers, but the Ferguson has a 6x4 one for some reason. As long as the replacement is 8 ohms it should be OK.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 7:37 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I recently serviced one of these and it did have a good quality, large magnet, 8" x 5" unit. The reference to a small size 6" x 4" unit must be a misprint. None of that series would have used such a small drive unit. These are quite well made loudspeakers and so maybe the OP should check the voice coil for continuity?
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 12:04 pm   #7
Simon376442
Triode

Hi Edward I will open the cabinet and check the size first.
The size I quoted was out of the manual which I downloaded from this site.
I have two of these record players.
My original has perfect sound, but this one has distortion/vibration and the sound is not so clear.
I had this once on a tv when the cone of the speaker had started to deteriorate.
Do you think it might be something else?

Regards
Simon
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 2:25 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It could be that the voice coil is rubbing on the speaker's magnet causing it to foul?

However, distortion/fuzziness can more usually be down to an amplifier or even a cartridge/stylus fault. Speakers rarely become faulty, so do not jump to the conclusion that this is cause of the problem.

The speaker on this model is quite hard to remove, so before doing that I suggest you feed another signal, say from a radio or tape deck, into the input socket to see how it sounds. If the sound is good, it suggests you have a cartridge/stylus issue.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 8:39 pm   #9
Simon376442
Triode

The stylus is brand new, but the player hasn't been used for 25 years so I guess there could be wear/corrosion in the cartridge.
One of the capacitors had blown in the amp causing buzzing al the time.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 9:13 am   #10
simpsons
Octode

Because the loudspeaker is in a sealed enclosure, don't play the unit at high volume with the speaker in open air. This is because the loudspeaker has been specially chosen for its high compliance, that is the cone moves very freely and in free air, if played too loudly, you will easily damage the spider or the cone support itself.

Replacing the speaker with a standard 8X5 will not give you the same bass response as they are designed to work in an open enclosure.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 26th Aug 2018 at 9:14 am. Reason: too early in the morning
Closed Thread