UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2018, 12:40 pm   #1
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Rotel RA-311 Amplifier

I have been given a Rotel RA-311 amplifier. Cosmetically not too bad but inevitably a bit grubby after being in storage for many years.

From a quick search of the web it seems that it dates from the 1970s and is capable of 25 or 30 watts per channel depending on the impedance of the speakers.

Not had a look inside yet but knowing where it has come from it will be unmolested though, of course, the usual precautions with long out of service kit will be required.

Not being that knowledgeable about hi-fi I've heard of the brand but have no idea where it might stand quality wise.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 1:07 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Rotel RA-311 Amplifier

Rotel were a major Japanese mid market manufacturer who OEMd some Leak products. Their reputation actually rose throughout the 80s as they released a series of well reviewed amps. The RA-311 is a typical good quality late 70s entry level Japanese amp.

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/201...el-ra-311.html

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...l/ra-311.shtml
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 1:47 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Agreed. Fair piece of kit.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 2:35 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well worth firing up after inspection. It has the added bonus of 2 x Phono inputs, one for Ceramic (very rare now, you will not find that these days!) and RIAA equalised Moving Magnet.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 10:06 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

Nice vintage amplifier and worth the trouble to restore as it's not been messed with. A bit of an old fashioned design in that it uses a single rail power supply with large electrolytics at the outputs to remove DC but then so do many other 'hi-fi' amplifiers from the same era. Some people like the 'silver' finish with wood effect case. All a matter of personal taste.

Paul's Hi-Fi Engine link has the manuals but you have to register to gain access. Don't think the link will work otherwise. You'll need to visit the site homepage to register.

Alan
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 10:17 am   #6
paulsherwin

The link will work, but you won't be able to download anything if not registered. It's free though, and only takes a minute.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 10:40 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

It's well worth reigistering for anyone interested in vintage hi-fi and contains a wealth of information in the library section. Vinyl Engine, the sister site, is similarly useful in relation to record decks, tonearms and cartridges in particular.

Alan
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 11:08 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Vinyl Engine is a superb site, but don't forget you password!
I have, and I can find absolutely no way of re-setting it, there being no Webmaster support.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 12:47 pm   #9
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Thank you all for the encouraging comments. It certainly seems well worth a go.
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 4:22 pm   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

Good luck with the refurbishment Nick.

Forgot to say earlier that, as well as the libraries, the Engine databases are also a mine of useful information.

Edward, if you're having trouble re-activating your Vinyl Engine account the easiest option might be to register again using a new username and password. The old details will just fade away into the ether.

Alan
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 4:55 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post

Edward, if you're having trouble re-activating your Vinyl Engine account the easiest option might be to register again using a new username and password. The old details will just fade away into the ether.

Alan
That's very kind of you, but I've tried all that. It remembers my email address and will then tell me that I'm already Registered - which of course I am. If only I could remember the Password......oblivion awaits!
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:17 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Just grab a new email address from somewhere - Gmail, GMX etc.

https://www.gmx.co.uk
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:51 pm   #13
ajgriff
Nonode

It can be useful to have a second e-mail address anyway as some organisations like to have a 'recovery' address as well as the main one. Not sure I fully understand the reasoning but there we are.

Alan
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 8:16 pm   #14
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post

Alan
That's very kind of you, but I've tried all that. It remembers my email address and will then tell me that I'm already Registered - which of course I am. If only I could remember the Password......oblivion awaits!
In which case, this should work: https://www.hifiengine.com/user/password

It's worked for me in the past
Closed Thread