UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2016, 12:50 pm   #1
Graham1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grandstream HT502

Can anyone help with the setup for a BT phone to work with loop dial on a Grandstream HT502?

Thanks.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 9:36 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Grandstream HT502

I'll have a look in my Grandstream HT502 manual (downloaded some time back from t'internet) and see whether I can find anything.

Also, once I've remembered the password for my HT502 setup, I'll see whether there's anything obvious in the configuration details.

If at the end of the day I can't answer your question, I know a man who probably can. As he's a forum member, he may step in before I have an answer anyway!
Old 14th Dec 2016, 11:45 pm   #3
WayneL74
Triode

Hi Graham.

I have the "big brother" of your device - a GXW-4008. This runs the same firmware.

Have you got it working with a modern touch-tone phone but not a mechanical dial one?

These devices do support pulse dialling, but the pulse timing is much more strict than a BT line. If you are using a dial phone & it is not running at the correct speed, this could be the issue.

If you have a modern push-button phone you should be able to temporarily switch the phone to pulse dialling & you can test it is accepting pulse dialling.

If its another setup issue then let me know I as do know these models quite well.

Regards,

Wayne
Old 15th Dec 2016, 2:13 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I found the PDF instruction manual for the HT-502 online easily enough and had a good look at it, but could not find any mention of loop disconnect / pulse / rotary dialling anywhere. I guess if the unit supports LD at all, it probably will Just Work; and if it does not work, that probably means it does not support LD.

As an aside, I happen to know for a fact that the Digium TDM410P / E cards definitely support pulse dialling, because I am using one with a GPO model 746 telephone. I have then configured short codes in my Asterisk dialplan; including my parents' old 4-figure number in my old village, plus things like 829 = TAX for the nearest taxi firm, 737 = RFP for my local electronic components supplier, R. F. Potts of Derby and 846 = VINdaloo for the local curry house! Also 585 = JUK for a very simple MP3 juke box application I wrote as a proof-of-concept (entirely in dialplan language, no AGI script required).
Old 15th Dec 2016, 7:28 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I can confirm that the HT502 is supposed to support LD dialling. It is apparently one of its selling points. It's just that I've never made use of the feature.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 10:01 am   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The manual or datasheets make no mention of 'loop dialling'. It is jut that some of us have the units set up and working with LD telephones on CNet - the Collectors Telephone network where we dial the old STD codes (Anyone can join and no line rental and calls are free! - I know as I administer it in the UK ). To my knowledge it 'loop dialling' is not an advertised feature of the Grandstream. I'm still working on find out exactly what settings affect the pulse dialling. Electronic pulse dialling phones will work with the right settings but rotary dials seem to be a lot more critical. I'll have a play this evening.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 12:44 pm   #7
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Hi Ian

On a related matter (sort of), I acquired a Grandstream 502 recently via the good services of Andrew Emmerson, and would like to get things linked up for CNET. I started this off some time ago, but then fell ill, so couldn't continue. Would it be OK to email you privately please?
Old 15th Dec 2016, 1:10 pm   #8
Graham1
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for all the Replies, I do have the HT502 working with MF and loop dial provided electronically. but with old telephones it will not work. Trying to adjust a dial to 10 & 66.6/33.3 without a tester is well? I was hoping to find some adjustment in the grandstream.
Old 15th Dec 2016, 2:59 pm   #9
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmoley1 View Post
On a related matter (sort of), I acquired a Grandstream 502 recently via the good services of Andrew Emmerson, and would like to get things linked up for CNET. I started this off some time ago, but then fell ill, so couldn't continue. Would it be OK to email you privately please?
No problem - just let me know the number you are after & I'll get it set up and send you the set up details. I assume you've got my email address?
Old 15th Dec 2016, 9:13 pm   #10
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Hi. I did have, but now can't find it. Could you remind me please?
Old 15th Dec 2016, 9:40 pm   #11
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
Many thanks for all the Replies, I do have the HT502 working with MF and loop dial provided electronically. but with old telephones it will not work. Trying to adjust a dial to 10 & 66.6/33.3 without a tester is well? I was hoping to find some adjustment in the grandstream.
You do not need much of a tool to scheck the dial speed and pulse ratio:
http://tinyurl.com/ho65stq

dsk
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:49 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very clever, DSK, thanks for the link.
Old 17th Dec 2016, 12:22 pm   #13
Graham1
Retired Dormant Member