UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2010, 4:10 pm   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Figure 8 Mains Leads - Conversion to French Plugs

I am giving (as Christmas presents) two radios to my French Brothers-in-Law.

I need to change the mains cables, as the English plugs won't fit in France.

Is there a place in France to get them? I need normal 'cassette' or similar sockets with the French mains plug on the end. I could easily cut off the UK plug and convert them, but ideally the 'bought' leads and plugs may have fuses within.

Any suggestions?

SEAN
Old 13th Dec 2010, 4:39 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Figure 8 Mains Leads - Conversion to French Plugs

Continental-style 2-pin mains leads are available in this country. I have a note here that they're stock code PL09593 in the CPC catalogue, though that may be out of date.

They don't have fuses in: this style of plug just doesn't have them (although I'm sure someone can quote an exception). If your appliance needs a fuse, put it in the appliance.
Old 13th Dec 2010, 4:53 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

RS stock them http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0321203

I also found this with Google http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/europe...le-p-5362.html

The cassette type connectors are type "C7" and if you search for "euro c7 cable" on eBay or Google Shopping there are several suitable listings.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Dec 2010, 5:09 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It may be cheaper for them to buy and fit the plugs in France though.

There is no advantage to buying a French lead rather than fitting a French plug to the UK one other than convenience.

France doesn't use fused plugs. The cable protection fuse is in the distribution board (actually normally a circuit breaker these days.)
Old 13th Dec 2010, 7:50 pm   #5
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I have plenty of these, you're welcome to a few FOC. If you PM me your address I'll pop them in the post - they're only about 4½ft long though. Standard figure 8 with 2-pin Europlug.

Brian
Old 13th Dec 2010, 8:50 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
They're readily available here in most large supermarkets, bricolages (DIY stores) and electrical shops. I think they're about three or four euros. A French two pin rewireable plug is about 2€50c. I found quite a few of mine on scrap cassette/CD/radios dumped in the communal bins at the edge of our village .
Cheers, Pete
Old 14th Dec 2010, 10:55 am   #7
SeanStevens
Octode

As usual, you guys and gals either know the answer to the questions or have the parts I need.

Many thanks again for all your help.

SEAN

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 14th Dec 2010 at 12:55 pm. Reason: De galled.
Old 2nd Feb 2011, 10:52 am   #8
SeanStevens
Octode

Brian (Gawd Bless him) supplied me with some leads. Radios met with much enthusiasm.

Please close the thread