UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2008, 11:03 pm   #1
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can anyone make sense of this morse?

Hey again.

Wow...having a comms receiver really IS cool. No more fiddling about with home made regens, which are tuned partially by tuning and partially by hitting the table they are standing on, etc.

So...im getting used to this new machine, and i managed to tune into some reasonably clear morse today. Its very bad quality...i tried to tidy it up abit and get rid of alot of the hiss.

Trouble is...im really bad with recognizing morse. Iv been sitting here trying to work out whats actually being transmitted...and i got nowhere. Through lack of experience, i just cant even write it down that fast. I really havnt ever had to seriously recognize morse.

So, i thought, there must be people here who know it so well they can just translate it there and then without any effort...right?

Do you think anybody can figure out what this is?

Im really curious to find out.

Click on the image below. I saved it as a video...but its just the sound really. There are several 'voices', but the one im interasted in is the clearest one which has a much lower beep frequancy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../th_morseI.jpg

Thanks
Old 17th Nov 2008, 11:21 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Can anyone make sence of this morse?

The audio frequency is a bit low for my liking. You need to tune in the wanted signal to give maxiimum deflection on the S meter then adjust the BFO control for a note of about 800 to 1000 Hz.

I can make out CQ DE L.........

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Nov 2008, 11:45 pm   #3
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Erm...bfo control?

I dont think this thing has one.

However...if you want the beeps to be 1000Hz...i can do that by just frequancy shifting the recording.
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:05 am   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Can anyone make sence of this morse?

Hi Adi -
If what you have there is a comms. receiver, it will have a BFO fitted - and almost certainly have a control to adjust the note of a received CW transmission. So - what is the receiver you have?

Al. / Skywave.
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:29 am   #5
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Hey skywave.

The reciever is a Trio JR500S as described in my other thread in this section. i cant find a BFO control on it.
Old 18th Nov 2008, 12:50 am   #6
Station X

Default Re: Can anyone make sense of this morse?

If the receiver has no BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillator) control, then the BFO must operate on a fixed frequency. All you can do is tune the receiver for a note which suits you. I like it to be about 800 Hz. It can be helpful to switch between LSB (Lower Side Band) and USB (Upper Side Band) to see which is better for a particular morse signal. Depending on the design of the receiver you may have to retune after doing this.

Old 18th Nov 2008, 1:06 am   #7
Station X

I see that the receiver doen't have USB/LSB switching either, so you'll just have to tune for best note/signal.

Operator's manual here:-

www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/Trio_JR-500_user.pdf

Old 18th Nov 2008, 2:18 am   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

If you can make it clearer as Graham's suggested but can't read Morse Code, a programme such as this will translate it for you.
Old 18th Nov 2008, 8:26 am   #9
dsergeant
Octode

CQ CQ NA LZ1ANA LZ1ANA LZ1ANA K
K9JB?
K2JT GA 559 559 BK
TU LZ1ANA NA
CQ CQ CQ USA DE LZ1ANA LZ1ANA LZ1ANA K
CQ CQ CQ DE LZ1ANA LZ1ANA K
W8AGS GA 599
TU 73 TU DE LZ1ANA

(or that is the gist of it, there were a couple of call snippets I couldn't copy but basically you are listening to LZ1ANA in Bulgaria calling for USA stations and working a couple of them (K2JT, W8AGS). Typical amateur CW contacts at what is a normal speed on the bands, various abbreviations like BK (break), TU (Thankyou), GA (Good afternoon) etc. You presumably would be on the 7MHz band and it would be somewhere down the bottom (7000-7005). Tone a snippet low but no problem there, most people prefer around 600Hz sidetone, but of course you were using a wide receive filter - has this receiver got anything in the way of narrow filters, these days most people on morse use 400Hz or so bandwidth and the background noise and co-channel stuff would be a lot lower than on your recording. You don't seem to be hearing any of the USA stations he was working...

Dave (G3YMC)
Old 18th Nov 2008, 11:00 am   #10
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Heh yaaaaay thanks alot for translating that!

Wierd you should say that...it seems that on the 7MHz band, there is alot of traffic from Bulgaria, Romania, Russia etc.

For example, i can get some British commercial stations, but they are pretty faint. French stations are even more faint. German and Spanish are so faint tis hard to tune to them.

But then im getting a commercial station in Russia, a commercial station in Romania, and alot of other stuff from that area, loud and clear! Also (by the way im fluent in Russian amongst many others) i herd what i think was offshore fishing boat communications. I dont remember what band it was in.

They were talking about working a cod field, and then one said all the cod has gone...and suggested WHERE its gone...relating to the other ones anatomy!

Ahhh so nice to hear Russian being used in a way that no dictionary can ever translate it.

They said a bunch of other 'corase' but very funny stuff, which noone would understand unless they knew colloquial and slang in Russian very well.

So anyway...i wander why im getting so much from that sort of eastern europe area, being loud and clear, and much more local stuff like France is alot weaker?

By the way...do all hams talk in CW? Is there any voice activity anywhere that would be receivable on this set?

I think i briefly heard someone saying (in english) oskar wiskey november, Norway. He repeated OWN Norway like that several times, he had a scandinavian accent but was speaking english, and then i lost that signal, or he stopped transmitting.

Last edited by adibrook; 18th Nov 2008 at 11:08 am.
Old 18th Nov 2008, 11:11 am   #11
Station X

We're going off topic here, but it'll be down to propagation conditions, which will vary with the time of day or night, and the directional properties of your aerial. Powerful French sideband stations are the bane of my life when trying to listen to the Vintage AM net on 3.615 MHz.

You should have no difficulty in receiving amateur SSB stations, but it will need careful tuning to resolve the Donald Duck sound into intelligble speech.

Your aerial should be as long and as high as possible. An earth connection might help too. If you want to continue this discussion please start another thread.

Closed Thread