UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2018, 9:45 pm   #21
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: 1960's or 70's autochangers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I don’t know about the 101 but the GL75 had rubber bearings for the tone arm, these rotted and required replacing. It is possible the 101 uses the same suspension ?
I have no idea personally what suspension they have.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 11:57 pm   #22
RojDW48
Nonode

Oh! I had forgotten how sweet that anti-skate system was! To be fair I haven't done any kind of proper engineering test to see if it's effective but it's still sweet. The fine counterweight screws in and out on its shaft, which is linked to the base of the tonearm pillar by an L shaped strut in such a way as it tips up and down relative to the tonearm travel into the record. A kind of engineering expression of the relationship between tracking weight and anti-skate force! It works fine on my old Decca SG188 (NOT the original TT).

NB - the little weight screws in and out - if yours is stuck - a little easing oil might free it.

I don't think the G101/102 have any rubber V blocks as in the Lencos. I don't think they were made by Lenco, but by Goldring themselves. ISTR they suffered from a lot of sniffy criticism from people who should have known better at the time. They were (and still are) very nice little budget transcription decks.

Last edited by RojDW48; 26th Aug 2018 at 12:01 am. Reason: spelling
Old 26th Aug 2018, 7:02 am   #23
peter_sol
Octode

To be quite honest neither of those decks are suitable for use with a Shure M76-6
and that goldring was always a cheap and nasty thing
Why not look out for a Garrard SP25?
I'm sure someone has one they don't want.
The motor board will need cutting out to suit another deck anyway.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 8:56 am   #24
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Peter, when you say 'neither of these decks, etc.', do you include the Garrard 6-300 in that statement? I ask the question because Dynatron used the 6-300 in their HFC58, and possibly other models, and in these stereos, the 6-300 was factory fitted with a Shure M75-6 Cartridge. Recently, despite checking everything relevant, and fitting a new stylus to one of these, I have not been able to find a cure for mis-tracking, which can happen with any LP at any point during the playing of the record, though it's more likely, understandably perhaps, to happen with stereo discs than mono ones.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 9:12 am   #25
peter_sol
Octode

Ferguson used that 6-300 deck with a Goldring G850 cartridge tracking at its maximum of 4 Grammes.
no matter what, Garrard never designed it for use with a magnetic cartridge tracking at 2 grammes so I doubt you will get it to track well.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 3:56 pm   #26
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
Ferguson used that 6-300 deck with a Goldring G850 cartridge tracking at its maximum of 4 Grammes.
no matter what, Garrard never designed it for use with a magnetic cartridge tracking at 2 grammes so I doubt you will get it to track well.
No maybe not, but surely with a little bit of modification could make it work at 2 grams, surely?
Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:25 pm   #27
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As you may have read, I've recently tried,unsuccessfully to get a M75-6 to track successfully in a 6-300. For one thing, the mounting clip, which, AFAIK, is original is, IMHO, not the best. It doesn't grip the rear sides of the cart. well enough to prevent it moving for one thing!
Old 26th Aug 2018, 4:51 pm   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
No maybe not, but surely with a little bit of modification could make it work at 2 grams, surely?
It is not a good enough arm to track at 2 grams. It might play (in part) when it's not mistracking, but the sound will be thin and whispish. That Garrard deck was just not designed to work at such low tracking weights.
Don't try to turn it into something it can never be!
Old 26th Aug 2018, 7:01 pm   #29
peter_sol
Octode

Thank you Edward
I think people think we are trying to be killjoys when we are honest and factual but we are only genuinely trying to help and stop people wasting their time and money.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 7:49 pm   #30
19Seventy7
Octode

No, I wasn't thinking that at all, I mean I would much rather keep my Goldring, but I was just wondering if it was possible? I've only just really got into records and record players compared to most people on here, so I am pretty clueless.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 9:00 pm   #31
peter_sol
Octode

Hi "Insertnamehere"
Well I was not getting at you but we have so many posts on here some going to hundreds of posts all trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear only to eventually realise the sense of advice from the experienced
Good luck with the Goldring or whatever alternative suitable deck you find.
Old 27th Aug 2018, 1:07 am   #32
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh no I know, but I know that I did fit into that. I get what you mean though, I just thought as its pretty much the same principle in turntables that it would work, but obviously not.

Thank you. I have found a way to get it up to speed for 33 is to just put it on 45, then slow it down back to 33
Closed Thread