UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 9:19 pm   #1
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Dial lubrication

I have a dial telephone which was installed about 50 years ago. I fitted a master socket and not long ago asked BT to lubricate the dial which gradually had got stiffer. I told them that I would no longer pay (I think I had paid about £500 over the yearts) and a man came and replaced my master socket. He would not touch the phone. I persuaded him to leave the old hard wired phone for the bell and power loss emergencies.

How do I remove the dial and strip it to get it working again?
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 10:51 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Dial lubrication

The GPO document for the Dial No 10 used on Bakelite phones is at http://www.britishtelephones.com/tel%20auto%20b5126.htm whilst that on the later plastic 700 series phones which started to be fitted at an extra cost (regardless of colour - you paid extra for a 'modern' phone until the late 1960's) is at http://www.britishtelephones.com/dial21.htm
I'd avoid lubricating it - I tend to find that the governor gets dirty and cleaning inside the inside of the governor (where the ends of the arms rub when they go at speed) and the weighs on the ends of the arms. That is as far as I usually go. If oiled, it tends to dry up clogging things up.

What type of phone is it? The three digit model number should be on the bottom of the phone.

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
GW4BTW
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 11:45 pm   #3
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Thanks Ian,

The phone is fixed to the wall. I managed to get the cream plastic cover off by removing a screw adjacent to the cable entry. I could not get the phone off the wall, there seems to be two hooks at the top and some fixture at the bottom which I cannot see. Does it just need a bigger hammer to thump it uphill?

Inside is a label T.U. D92732 TMA/2

I eventually managed to put the top back on and the dial now works with a bit of encouragement. This may be due to the hot weather thinning the lubricant. I dialled 1471 OK but there is some crackly noise. This noise is not evident on my cordless phones. I may leave it as it is.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 6:06 am   #4
bobsterkent
Hexode

sounds like a Tele 711 wallphone, the crackling could be from the carbon granule microphone
Old 4th Jun 2018, 8:19 am   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Whatever you do, do not lubricate with anything containing silicone!

dsk
Old 5th Jun 2018, 1:52 am   #6
mickash
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG3VLF View Post
Thanks Ian,

The phone is fixed to the wall. I managed to get the cream plastic cover off by removing a screw adjacent to the cable entry. I could not get the phone off the wall, there seems to be two hooks at the top and some fixture at the bottom which I cannot see. Does it just need a bigger hammer to thump it uphill?

Inside is a label T.U. D92732 TMA/2

I eventually managed to put the top back on and the dial now works with a bit of encouragement. This may be due to the hot weather thinning the lubricant. I dialled 1471 OK but there is some crackly noise. This noise is not evident on my cordless phones. I may leave it as it is.
The phone is attached to the mounting bracket by a single screw through the base. You'll find it at the lower part of the phone near the bracket that holds the handset cord and case screw.

The crackling will either be the carbon mic, dial contacts or hook switch, possibly a bit of all three.

Michael.
Closed Thread