UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2013, 8:12 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Home made or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Is it just me or are there too many smoothing caps, 2 on top of the chassis, and 2 below which look like they may be insulated from the clamps so may have the cases live?Richard
I think the 2 big below-chassis 'cans' will be low-voltage electrolytics for cathode-bypass duty.
Old 6th Jan 2013, 10:35 pm   #22
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I did notice that the speaker wire's were not connected to the block when I removed the chassis, seen in one of the pictures, so its been played with.
picture and valve numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137b.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	74760  
Old 6th Jan 2013, 11:09 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

It's very professionally wired, even the soldering. Posts on this forum seem to suggest that the beehive trimmers are an anomaly. There are beehive trimmers fitted to my Philips 470A dated 1938 so they were around long before the 60's.

I doubt there is much wrong with it. Connect up the speaker and run it through a lamp limiter. You'll need a longwire aerial, 10 to 15 feet should do. It's a simple TRF circuit so won't take too much to get going again. Of course being a possible homebrew, there is no telling how well it performed originally.

Rich