UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:42 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Gulp.... Ferrograph Series 4

That is strange,they are showing as sent at my end, but anyway the text is copied below.

Bad news I am afraid. Have now found my box of Bulgin connectors, but there are no full size female plugs (for mounting on cable). I was sure there were some (included mounted to cable) in this box, but obviously not.

I do have the full size chassis mounted Bulgin 3 pin male plug and several mini size Bulgin 3 pin female plugs mounted to cables but these are not any use to you.

Really sorry to get your hopes up. I see there are a small number on eBay but expensive.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 8:42 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

You can request a read receipt, click the box at the bottom of the PM page.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 8:46 pm   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you, will do for future PMs.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 10:57 am   #24
Ferrograph723
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
That is strange,they are showing as sent at my end, but anyway the text is copied below.

Bad news I am afraid. Have now found my box of Bulgin connectors, but there are no full size female plugs (for mounting on cable). I was sure there were some (included mounted to cable) in this box, but obviously not.

I do have the full size chassis mounted Bulgin 3 pin male plug and several mini size Bulgin 3 pin female plugs mounted to cables but these are not any use to you.

Really sorry to get your hopes up. I see there are a small number on eBay but expensive.
No problem - thanks for trying anyway, appreciate it.
Old 18th Feb 2020, 11:23 am   #25
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

If you need, I've got some videos of when I took the motors apart for cleaning and lubrication. If you go down that route, just remember to note which washers go on which spacer under the top plate - they were different thicknesses and set at the factory to level the reels. I learned that the hard way...

The Bulgin connector can be easily replaced with an IEC, even using the same holes if you get a Bulgin C14 like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200218_100617.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	199225  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:39 pm   #26
Ferrograph723
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
If you need, I've got some videos of when I took the motors apart for cleaning and lubrication. If you go down that route, just remember to note which washers go on which spacer under the top plate - they were different thicknesses and set at the factory to level the reels. I learned that the hard way...

The Bulgin connector can be easily replaced with an IEC, even using the same holes if you get a Bulgin C14 like this.
That would be amazing, if you don't mind sharing the videos! Thankyou - I'll PM you my email address.

I have removed the Bulgin socket and hard-soldered a power cable for now - but yes I was looking at replacing with something like that - again thanks for sharing.

Last night I focused on cleaning the power supply and amp areas - I took the valves out and gave them a good clean and managed to get some of the gunk off the case. Now time to move on to cleaning up the mechanism itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 18.37.06.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	199344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-02-19 at 18.36.17.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	199345  
Old 21st Feb 2020, 10:02 pm   #27
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I would recommend putting all the chassis in the dishwasher, if you are lucky enough to have one. I just took the valves off and put both the PSU and the amplifier in. That dealt with the greasy gunk. Sundry wheels and rods went on the glasses rack on the top.

Sitting them on the Rayburn or by the fire for a few days to make sure there's no water in the windings of the transformers, and they were ready to go. Just make sure they're rinsed off as dishwasher tablets are quite heavy-duty and will corrode the alloy chassis.

Be careful of the wires on the tag strips that connect to the plugs that join the various parts together. On mine the solder had made the ends brittle and I've had to resolder quite a number in the course of taking the parts in and out. It's impossible to work on the chassis with them in the box, so you'll get quite strong!
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 11:20 am   #28
SteveCG
Nonode

Re the right hand photo in post no. 27:

In the centre I can see a TCC brand capacitor that is mounted on the chassis in a clip. Unfortunately I cannot make out its value. Is it 0.5 uF ? If so, it may be concerned with feeding the bias signal to the record/replay head. The issue with it is that is likely to be a 'paper' type and so electrically leaky. This means it would be passing a DC current to the head and this is bad news. It should be replaced.
Old 23rd Feb 2020, 3:30 pm   #29
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Yes, lots of Metalmite and Metalpak TCCs in mine, some of which were leaking goop. I second replacement.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 10:32 pm   #30
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I would recommend putting all the chassis in the dishwasher, if you are lucky enough to have one. I just took the valves off and put both the PSU and the amplifier in. That dealt with the greasy gunk. Sundry wheels and rods went on the glasses rack on the top.

Sitting them on the Rayburn or by the fire for a few days to make sure there's no water in the windings of the transformers, and they were ready to go. Just make sure they're rinsed off as dishwasher tablets are quite heavy-duty and will corrode the alloy chassis.

Be careful of the wires on the tag strips that connect to the plugs that join the various parts together. On mine the solder had made the ends brittle and I've had to resolder quite a number in the course of taking the parts in and out. It's impossible to work on the chassis with them in the box, so you'll get quite strong!
This post brought back very old memories (45-50 years ago) when I used to do a lot of ultra-sonic immersion detergent cleaning of various Navy electronic units, it got them really clean !
Closed Thread