UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:59 am   #1
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Electrical installation by D. Gedye

I picked up this nice sign a few weeks ago at a flea market. It’s obviously a blank sign supplied by the cable manufacturer for the contractor to put his own name on. I would guess it dates from the later part of the 60s.
I wondered if anyone had any information about this company. It appears doing a internet search that their main business was as Radio and Television Engineers. Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	233149A8-A7C7-4422-A7B1-1AA1716BADBC.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	199280  
Old 21st Feb 2020, 1:41 am   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Electrical installation by D. Gedye

Up until a couple of months ago I lived in Alresford and Derek Gedye's shop was still at the same address when we moved in. In fact I think it only closed down three or four years ago - it certainly survived much longer than most independent radio/TV shops. I think his daughter then opened a fitness shop in the same premises but that closed down recently too.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 1:07 am   #3
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks for the information James . Any history that goes with things is good to know. Andy.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 10:32 am   #4
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
Up until a couple of months ago I lived in Alresford and Derek Gedye's shop was still at the same address when we moved in. In fact I think it only closed down three or four years ago - it certainly survived much longer than most independent radio/TV shops. I think his daughter then opened a fitness shop in the same premises but that closed down recently too.
What a coincidence until a few years ago I lived up the road from Alresford and knew the shop well. As you say it was an independent electrical supply and repair shop. I found the prices quite high, perhaps so did everyone else given the internet era and that’s why it closed. They also had an electrical installation side of the business based in another workshop in ‘The Dean’ down the road and I used them quite often to carry out installation work at our house. That’s gone too, but the premises are now used (owned?) by another electrical installation company that I also used to use.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 3:00 pm   #5
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks for the info red. It’s always nice to know a bit of information behind the things i collect Andy
Closed Thread