UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2020, 2:48 pm   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Solartron Scope case removal ?

I have a Solartron scope here. How does the case come off? I removed two small self tappers, one each side near rear, but no luck. Do the feet secure the cabinet.
Mike.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 6:26 pm   #2
wave solder
Hexode

Default Re: Solartron Scope case removal ?

Which model is it, there are many Solartron oscilloscope models that have been manufactured.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 6:45 pm   #3
sparkymike
Octode

It is a Solartron CD1400
Mike.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 7:11 pm   #4
buggies
Heptode

As I remember - feet at the front at least - but memory fades.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 7:16 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

I have a couple of these - one in service, and a spare one. I don't think I've ever taken the case off, though of course the two y modules and the x module pull out of the front of the case on edge connectors. I think I have a service booklet in the rear of one of them in a kind of metal pocket - what's the problem with yours? On mine the wafer switches by which the gain is switched for the y-amps, seem to get dirty quickly and gain ranges can become unreliable. Otherwise, I'm glad I saved a couple from the skip!
Old 15th Feb 2020, 7:22 pm   #6
buggies
Heptode

Duh! it was two rear feet plus two screws from rear corners of the case.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 9:47 pm   #7
sparkymike
Octode

Thanks George. Its working and even has the manual in the rear pocket but missing two of the large black knob caps (16mm.) and one of the small ones.(10mm).
Mike.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 3:29 pm   #8
sparkymike
Octode

All was working well until there was a loud bang and a white cloud of smoke !!
Wife was having a nap at the time upstairs and later said she heard the bang but did not bother to check if I was ok or not. ??
Anyway,I removed the three modules to have a look see and the middle 8uf electrolytic cap. of a bank of five had showered snow all over the place.
It all cleaned up ok so now need to replace the cap. On this scope, the 1400,
there are ten of these caps., but drawing only shows nine ?
There are also a couple of components, marked V1 and V2 , shown on the circuit like diodes with a spot in the circle.What are these?
One other thing, the probe sockets are huge items.approx 16mm over the thread. Anyone know what they are called as I will need an adaptor down the BNC.
Mike.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 3:36 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The normal input connector on the Y amplifiers for the CD1400 is a 'UHF' (also known as SO239, taking plug PL259). You should be able to find an adapter to BNC.

One useful feature is that a 4mm plug will fit in centre hole of that socket, so you can use multimeter type probes for audio/DC-ish work. The knurled screws that hold the plug-in units in place are drilled for 4mm plugs in the end too, that can be used as a ground connection.

What plugins do you have? I've seen 2 Y amplifiers (the normal 15MHz one and a much lower bandwidth differential input one). And 4 units to go in the timebase slot (the normal timebase, a similar unit with slower speeds, a delayed timebase and an XY unit (which uses the 2 Y amplifiers as X and Y, giving a single beam XY scope)).
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:17 pm   #10
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymike View Post
Wife was having a nap at the time upstairs and later said she heard the bang but did not bother to check if I was ok or not. ??
That absolutely just cracked me up when I read that

The rule with a piece of kit that hasn't been in use for some time is always the same, in that after a short while running, switch off and feel the case of ALL the main electrolytic capacitors for any signs of warming. This should be repeated over several switch on and offs, gradually with longer switch on periods - saves an awful lot of grief, as you've just found out.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 6:53 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymike View Post
I get the impression that you have been married as long as I have!
Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:01 pm   #12
buggies
Heptode

C311 8uF 450V (same as the other 9) was fitted on early units only.
They should all be replaced as always gave trouble - although seldom vented violently.
V301 and V302 are in the parts list as "reference diodes" but which are really Hivac XC12 85V voltage regulator neons.

One handbook "caution" worth attention is to switch off before removing a plugin.
What is not written, is that you are likely to get a 360V DC shock from one hand to the other as the sub-unit partially disconnects.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 4:49 pm   #13
sparkymike
Octode

Well it is up and running again. I was a bit concerned in case the atomic capacitor had taken a few prisoners with it, but it seems to be ok at the moment. I did have quite a job replacing the cap as it was the middle one of five and just beneath the crt and no room for fingers, so I wound some soft wire round the cab and then fed it into the circuit board holes with the aid of a torch. I did find that the pads on the board are very thin and even with my low wattage iron and solder sucker,they started to lift. The main tag of the caps are bent over at right angles and they don't just slide out. Probably better way to remove would be to make a cut on the tag so that the right angled bit is left on the board. You could use a Dremel with a cut off disc carefully.
I must say it is a well made bit of kit with nice cable form wiring.
Point taken about module removal.!! I wonder how many modules were dropped on the workshop floor due to that quirk ??
Mike.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 9:11 pm   #14
Tim
Dekatron

No Despite being nearly as old as I am these are still very useable scopes. I still regret getting rid of my last one. Mine had a delayed timebase

Last edited by Tim; 25th Feb 2020 at 9:21 pm.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 11:37 am   #15
buggies
Heptode

As I recall, you should be able to hinge the bottom board down on its loom after removing the 4 knobs (bottom front) and fixing screws.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 8:45 am   #16
sparkymike
Octode

I tried removing the board, but it did not want to come out, so resorted to the method above.The back end of the board moved down about an inch but that was that.
Mike.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 12:02 pm   #17
buggies
Heptode

I think the front pots had fairly long spindles so you had to pull the board back to get them out of the panel holes - but it was 50 years ago...
Do the wire connectors to the board just pull off the tags? (long nose pliers).
Old 28th Feb 2020, 8:19 am   #18
sparkymike
Octode

The front pots are very short, maybe just 1/4" long. You are right, the wiring is on sliding tags, but I did not want to disturb that. There is also two heavy cables soldered to posts.
Mike.
Closed Thread