UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2007, 2:19 pm   #1
Studio263
Octode

Default Hitachi / B&O VTR capstan motor fix

This applies to the B&O VHS80 and VHS90, along with the Hitachi VT11 and the (very many) others that use the same deck, nice solid '80's machines.
It is not uncommon to find that the capstan motor is completely worn out, either it gets very noisy or takes so much current that the machine keeps stopping. They always were expensive but are now unobtainable. Don't panic, here's what to do:
First, get hold of an Amstrad 4600 or 6000. You will find that the motor looks just like the (later) Hitachi sort. The good news is that the commutator, brushgear and bearings are much sturdier so whip it out and dump the rest of the machine before someone sees you.
If you fit the motor directly into the Hitachi (etc) it fits but it won't work properly. To get around this swap over the pulley (heat it up with the iron and pull it off) and the tacho-generator. If your original motor has a flywheel on the top remove it. The tachogenerator is in the end cap, prise it off and swap it over complete, including the magnetic wheel from inside. For the older type you will have to transfer over the nylon thrust bearing too but don't worry, it just pops out on one and into the other. All done!
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 7:37 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi / B&O VTR capstan motor fix

What a useful trick! I have a couple of VT11s, both with original capstan motors, but it's bound to happen one day.

Any chance of pics of the suitable donor machines (and even of the transplant being done)?

Nick.
Old 4th Dec 2007, 9:34 am   #3
Studio263
Octode

I don't have any pictures of the Amstrad donor machines but they are pretty easy to spot. The 4600 has large writing in green on the front and the 6000 is their one with the Panasonic type barcode scanner in a simply massive handset. There are lots of others that use the same motor too, I think it's the Funai-based models that have it (Hinari, Sentra?). It's worth a peer through the cassette door of anything that looks likely, the motor is in the normal place, rear right hand corner.
VT11's were fitted with the older sort of motor that is wrapped in blue PVC tape and has a little flywheel on the top. Although this looks different to the later Hitachi sort and the one from the Amstrad machine the tachogenerator from it still fits straight on. The B&O models VHS66, VHS91 and VHS91.2 also use this motor and can be repaired in the same way.
Eeek! I have a VHS80, a VHS90, a VHS66 and a VHS91.2, I'd better stock up!
Old 4th Dec 2007, 9:37 pm   #4
Studio263
Octode

Here are some pictures. the first shows to type of motor to go for, that came out of a budget VTR (Amstrad etc). The second picture shows a dismantled early Hitachi motor, this is as far as you need to go. The parts, from left to right, are the flywheel (discard this), the tachogenerator, the magnetic wheel (swap both of these over) and the motor body (where the wear is). I hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amstrad motor.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	13818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi motor.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	13819  
Old 5th Dec 2007, 8:15 am   #5
dsergeant
Octode

If anybody wants one, I have one of the real things lurking in my stock drawer for many years. I think it is new though not sure, but was for a VT11 or similar, complete with bracket and pcb with 5 pin connector and filter components. PM if interested.

Dave
Closed Thread