UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2020, 1:41 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default High Quality Tape Recorder

Interesting article from Wireless World 1970.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf High Quality Tape Recorder.pdf (1.18 MB, 163 views)
Old 21st Apr 2020, 3:06 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: High Quality Tape Recorder

This has always been highly regarded. I have a stereo pair of the replay amps myself. Mine is based on the RCA chips specified; sadly these have been obsolete for a long while. However, the articles cover a discrete components version of the circuit which Stuart describes as having equivalent performance.
Graham
Old 21st Apr 2020, 4:03 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

Many years ago, I built the discrete component version, and can confirm that it gives same performance as the original CA3048/CA3052 version. I had a lot of problems with the quad op-amp version, since they share chip power pins in pairs, and don't seem to have sufficient internal decoupling to handle cascaded individual op-amps on the same chip. I found that the discrete-component version with a separate voltage regulator for each individual op-amp gave much more flexibility of configuration.
I agree, justifiably well-regarded circuits - IMHO well up to semi-pro standards.

Mike
Old 21st Apr 2020, 5:14 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I think there was a Hart kit for this.

David
Old 21st Apr 2020, 5:24 pm   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

Yes, Hart made a kit for each section of the circuit. I bought their kit for for construction of the erase/bias oscillator, and it worked perfectly first time. I'm sure Hart are long gone now.

One snag is that Stuart designed these for Bogen heads (oh no!). He gives head parameters, etc to allow adjustment for other heads, but not with any circuit or component detail.

Mike
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:16 pm   #6
wd40addict
Octode

Bob Stuart later went on to found Meridian with the late Alan Boothroyd. Obviously his interest in HiFi as a hobby must've helped with this change of direction.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:18 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83982
Old 27th Apr 2020, 2:43 pm   #8
Paulus.d
Hexode

Some people built this project? did anyone complete the layout drawings so it can be built again using modern components>
Old 27th Apr 2020, 3:11 pm   #9
Boulevardier
Octode

"Some people built this project? did anyone complete the layout drawings so it can be built again using modern components?"

If it's the Stuart tape circuits you're talking about, yes, I built them. Stuart used boards called "Lektrokit". I don't know what these are/were, but I just used standard Veroboard. Hart produced custom PCBs for their kits - the only kit I bought from them was for the HF oscillator section (because it got me all the ferrite components in one go). Veroboard is obviously much more fiddly, but worked fine for all the other sections. The original ICs are now unobtainable, but modern low-noise op amps or discrete components can be substituted. They are very simple, but very effective, semi-professional standard circuits (IMHO!)

Mike
Closed Thread