UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2019, 7:38 am   #1
Janetrs
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Goblin Teasmade.

Hi there

I have purchased a Goblin teasmade which works up to a point. The light, the tea making facility etc. However the clock, whilst does work, always stops at the alarm time. Can you not have this device as just a clock when not set for making tea? I'd welcome any advice, thanks Jan
Old 16th Dec 2019, 11:14 am   #2
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade.

Hello Jan.

It sounds like the extra load when the clock trips the alarm is enough to stop it.
I would think it's just dust &c. in the clock which needs cleaning out.
Old 16th Dec 2019, 12:37 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

What model is the Teasmade, Jan?
Old 16th Dec 2019, 3:19 pm   #4
Janetrs
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike

It's the 860

Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
It sounds like the extra load when the clock trips the alarm is enough to stop it.
I would think it's just dust &c. in the clock which needs cleaning out.
Ok I see but it's not switched to auto when it stops. Would it still trip?

Thanks

Jan
Old 16th Dec 2019, 10:52 pm   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

Does the clock continue to work when the kettle is unplugged? I am wondering if the clock motor has been miswired so that it is connected across the alarm contacts rather than directly across the mains.

Al
Old 16th Dec 2019, 11:01 pm   #6
Janetrs
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Al

Oh I'm not sure I'll have to check?

Jan
Old 16th Dec 2019, 11:07 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetrs View Post
Ok I see but it's not switched to auto when it stops. Would it still trip?
Yes. No doubt there were some electric alarm clocks configured where the alarm on/off switch directly shifted the alarm contacts clear of the cam to disable the alarm; but on Teasmades at least, the alarm contacts are always operational; the cam always operates the contacts at the set time, and then the mode switch and kettle platform switch between them determine what (if anything) they are connected to.

The point being that the clock motor will always have to supply the energy required to move the alarm contacts when the set time (minus a fixed delay, to allow for boiling time) arrives, regardless of what the Teasmade's mode switch says. If the lubricant in the mechanism has dried up, then more of the motor's effort will be wasted overcoming its resistance; and if there simply isn't enough energy available to overcome all the frictional losses, turn the hands and operate the alarm switch contacts, then the motor will simply stall until given manual assistance past the sticking point.
Old 17th Dec 2019, 9:52 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Jan,
As Al and Julie have said, the clock motor is running and therefore the mechanical alarm contacts are always operational when the unit is connected to the mains.
IMHO it's very unlikely that someone has miswired anything - I would say that the clock motor is the problem when given the extra load to operate the alarm contacts.
Have a look at https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=91162
Clock motor might be OK with a strip and clean.
Old 17th Dec 2019, 10:23 am   #9
trsomian
Hexode

It may be the motor gummed up, but in my experience of such motors a gummed motor fails to start, and once it is going is usually fine. The starting torque of such motors is tiny compared to the running torque. I fear it may be damaged gears or the like
Old 17th Dec 2019, 10:28 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Yes, the 'modern' Teasmades like this one have some plastic wheels which can become damaged. Worth having a look though.

Ours is a more ancient one (D25) with brass wheels; it's made coffee (I don't drink tea) every morning for a few decades now!
Old 17th Dec 2019, 12:16 pm   #11
Janetrs
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks all really appreciate your comments advice

I’m not taking it apart as beyond my talents. Will happily reset the old lady each day. A nice addition to my boudoir which still makes me a cuppa
BW

Jan
Closed Thread