UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2019, 9:42 am   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default BHS Branded Metamec Battery Clock

I've had this clock for years, after it was given to me by the in-laws, who had owned it from new. Im guessing its late 70s

I really like it, it has developed some issues with stopping however. Some time ago it stopped, I scraped clean the slightly rusty battery terminals, put a new battery in and it lasted a good while.

Last night it stopped again, I checked the battery - reading 1.28v, bit low, but possibly enough to run a simple clock like this for a while. I tried a fresh battery but it stopped again. Giving it a tap got it moving again.

Im not sure at this point whether the battery terminals will need more refurbishing beyond my scraping clean and rubbing with switch cleaner, or whether some kind of fault in the mechanism exists. The terminals do look fine, ive seen worse working ok....

Thought id share some pictures, any suggestions welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	187249   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	187250  
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:03 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: BHS Branded Metamec Battery Clock

Some clocks are very fussy about battery voltage.

There is sometimes a problem where the battery contact strips engage with the internals of the mechanism.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 10:43 am   #3
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Could be just the hands? they get worn after all that 'time' and just slip on the shaft .. removal and a gentle pinch so that they fit tight on the shaft is sometimes all that is needed.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 11:35 am   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks both .

I don't think they're slipping, as I think id hear the mech still ticking, but perhaps I missed that. Ill dismantle what I can and report back
Old 24th Jul 2019, 11:38 am   #5
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi, dust can be a problem.

If there are any holes in the mechanism casing, squirt with compressed air.
Cans are available at Pound Stores.
Do *NOT* shake before using - check the Instructions.

Have just had similar problem.

Regards - Mike.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 8:30 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

You could also try measuring the battery when it is in the clock and operating.
On load voltages can be revealing.

Ed
Old 25th Jul 2019, 10:08 am   #7
PsychMan
Octode

Good point Ed!

With the new battery it has still been stopping, though its on its longest run time since the problem.

Its definitely not the terminals, and I don't think an electrical problem so much as a mechanical one.

What I have found is when it is "stopped", no tick is audible, but, perhaps a slight whirring inside - this could have been outside noise being amplified by the clock housing, "sea shell" effect if you will. It was so slight it was hard to tell.

What DOES make the lock run again, is pulling out the knob that sets the time and pushing it back in place. Which leads me to believe a cog in the mech is slipping out of place and not driving the movement, when the adjuster is pushed back it sets this back in place to work for an undefined time. Perhaps what I could hear was a motor running freely inside?

I had a quick look to try and get into it, but had trouble separating the plastic "chrome" fascia from the back. The back is supposed to rotate off, but I couldn't do it with my hands and was too nervous to clamp the front part down as its had one or glue repairs over the years already.

I will need to get into it at some point if Im to properly fix this problem. Ill try and get some pictures up of the fastenings, maybe someone with experience of these could advise a better way

Adam

Last edited by PsychMan; 25th Jul 2019 at 10:09 am. Reason: Missed words
Old 25th Jul 2019, 10:12 am   #8
paulsherwin

It does sound like a mechanical problem as you say. If it has been running near continuously for 40 years then maybe something has just worn out. Kitchen clocks in particular often lead a hard life.
Old 25th Jul 2019, 10:26 am   #9
PsychMan
Octode

I hope the movement can be fixed, but I suppose they weren't really made to be fixable, as a clock that lasts 40 years is pretty good as it is. Doesn't seem right replacing it with a modern one, but it might come to that
Old 25th Jul 2019, 3:38 pm   #10
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Some Metamecs you can get in from the front, as the glass surround is like a twist and lock fitting.
However if you can hear it ticking and moving it's probably a very old mechanism which is almost a totally mechanical clock, so it might be time to get out the oiling can LOL, the battery energy is just basically used to swing the mainspring back and forth.

Also you can pick up a new, modern mechanism (uses AA battery) on Ebay for about £5..however if buying one of these you must pay attention to the shaft, its dimensions.. and how the original hands would fit, they usually supply hands but obviously you probably would like to keep it looking as original as possible. Our Chinese friends also offer you other options such as an artificial tick and notch or gliding second hand.

..If you watch 'Salvage Hunters' on TV they get these beautiful old railway etc clocks and just stick one of these cheap mechs in them....although they may not last long with the huge railway hands they are expected to drive.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 25th Jul 2019 at 3:43 pm.
Old 25th Jul 2019, 4:18 pm   #11
duncanlowe
Nonode

It's possible that like some watches, that when the set button is pulled it stops the power getting to the mech. If so the switch could be dirty.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 8:45 am   #12
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
I hope the movement can be fixed, but I suppose they weren't really made to be fixable, as a clock that lasts 40 years is pretty good as it is.
Oh? Progress! At least clocks from the 1600's are still working in collections and museums. Mine's relatively modern, ca 1720.
Quote:
Doesn't seem right replacing it with a modern one, but it might come to that
Might be inevitable, but worth a try opening it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
Some Metamecs you can get in from the front, as the glass surround is like a twist and lock fitting.
However if you can hear it ticking and moving it's probably a very old mechanism which is almost a totally mechanical clock, so it might be time to get out the oiling can LOL, the battery energy is just basically used to swing the mainspring back and forth.
It does say 'Quartz' on the case, though.

Please don't dose it in oil!
Quote:
..If you watch 'Salvage Hunters' on TV they get these beautiful old railway etc clocks and just stick one of these cheap mechs in them....although they may not last long with the huge railway hands they are expected to drive.
Yuck! Converting a clock worth money to a piece of worthless junk.
Old 26th Jul 2019, 8:51 am   #13
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Some 'new' Batteries appear to be better than others.

Recently I went through 3 before a Clock kept time.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 26th Jul 2019, 7:32 pm   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

I had a similar smiths one that did that, the slightest disturbance would set it working for a day or two; the net tells me (now!!) probably a failing transistor. It was the sort with the swinging armature thingy with a little coil. There's a website or forum somewhere for battery clocks which lists the common types of movement from the 70's and 80's eg smiths, kienzle, and common faults that are repairable. I can't just find it now.
My current kitchen clock is a BHS one, they had some snazzy products in the 80's. It has the more modern quartz ticking movement, and I had to replace it the other day after 34 years sterling service. There's no manufacturer but it says 'Made In England' on the face which I rather like.

PS yours is very classy indeed, I love it, please fix it!
Old 26th Jul 2019, 9:06 pm   #15
hamid_1
Heptode

Your clock has a very early Quartz movement from the 1970s - worth trying to save. A clue is the unusual crystal frequency 4.19MHz - modern clocks use 32.768KHz. A bit more description here:
http://www.mridout.force9.co.uk/ecw/metqrtzearly.htm

Main site: http://www.electric-clocks.org.uk/
(This might be the one McMurdo was thinking of.)

The electronics are all discrete components. In theory at least, a failed component can be replaced and the clock can be repaired. First of all, you need to find out if it's an electronic fault causing the clock to stop, or a mechanical problem such as a worn or damaged gear getting stuck.

If you have a shortwave radio that can tune in to the same frequency as the clock's crystal, you should be able to hear something if it's oscillating. The Sony ICF series radios are good for this. They can receive any frequency from 150KHz to 30MHz. Place the radio right next to the clock and listen. If you can't hear the same noise when the clock has stopped, investigate the electronics.

It might be worth carefully resoldering everything. Also look out for any electrolytic capacitors. I had a Smiths tuning fork clock that kept stopping, replaced a 0.47uF 'Sanyo' electrolytic capacitor which fixed it.
Old 27th Jul 2019, 11:13 am   #16
Robsradio
Heptode

I would remove the back cover and check/clean where the contact strips join the PCB as corrosion from historic battery leakage can, and does creep back to that point.
Hope you sort it and keep the original movement in it
Old 27th Jul 2019, 2:38 pm   #17
julie_m
Dekatron

2 ** 22 is 4194304, so they must have used 22 stages of division with the higher frequency crystal. Perhaps they couldn't get lower frequencies to oscillate reliably, given the limited power available from a battery expected to last several weeks?
Old 27th Jul 2019, 4:27 pm   #18
AC/HL
Dekatron

We've had one of those from new, ships clock style. A wedding present (1967) I think. Unusually by modern standards it's a C battery, so it has a long life. Ours is also missing it's battery cover, I don't recall it ever stopping unexpectedly though. Adjusting the time is awkward as it only turns one way and you have to pull the little knob out whilst doing it.
Old 27th Jul 2019, 8:40 pm   #19
Robsradio
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
We've had one of those from new, ships clock style. A wedding present (1967) I think. Unusually by modern standards it's a C battery, so it has a long life. Ours is also missing it's battery cover, I don't recall it ever stopping unexpectedly though. Adjusting the time is awkward as it only turns one way and you have to pull the little knob out whilst doing it.
1967 will be an electric or electronically maintained balance wheel movement, quartz was not domestically available for a few years at that point, I always feel the balance wheel movements had more soul than their replacements as they had nearer family connections to spring driven movements.
Old 28th Jul 2019, 12:21 am   #20
AC/HL
Dekatron

I must be mistaken with the date then. It is the same movement as PsychMans.
Closed Thread