UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2020, 10:34 am   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Jammed capstan sleeve

Hello from Dave, I was reading some of the posts on here yesterday and was put in mind to listen to some of my reel to reel tapes on my Akai 4000GS tape deck. I discovered that the capstan sleeve was stuck on the capstan so I could not set the speed to 3.75. I saw that WD40 is not the best for lubricating, so can anyone give me advice as to how to release said capstan sleeve please?
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 12:10 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Jammed capstan sleeve

Is it the screw-on cap that's stuck, or is it just the sleeve alone?

David

One recipe for penetrating lubricant is 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% cellulose thinners (acetone, mostly)
Because of the thinners, keep it off of plastics and paintwork.

Duck oil is quite good, too.

David.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 2:08 pm   #3
garry71
Tetrode

I take it you've tried spinning it clockwise, then giving it a quick twist anti-clockwise?

I got mine off while the machine was out of the chassis, so I could grip the rear of the flywheel and it came off quite easily then.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 2:35 pm   #4
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.

Thanks for your replies, the screw head comes off easily but the sleeve won't budge. Ok on the oil suggestions, there is a bloke accross the street from me works on cars so he might have the automatic transmission fluid.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 2:40 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Sometimes careful heating (hot air gun, hair dryer) or cooling (freezer spray) will get it free.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 2:43 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Holding/stopping the flywheel from turning maybe the key.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 4:56 pm   #7
saxmaniac
Heptode

Why the witches brew for making lubricating oil? There's 3 in one type light oils readily available.WD40 is not much good for anything other than dispersing water and temporary protection against surface rust
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:03 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

Plus-gas or, if you can't find some, petrol lighter fluid are extremely penetrating. Never had to do a capstan sleeve, but for badly rusted bolts and shafts, see-sawing the two parts to and fro will normally eventually pump fluid into the gap.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:09 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

I'd be inclined to try the heating trick. Use the tip of a soldering iron.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 5:36 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

3-in-1 is OK, but not a particularly strong penetrator it's a domestically benign light lubricant. Plus gas is good, but I haven't seen any on sale for years. Used to use a formulation from Morris's of Shrewsbury in the garage.

The witches brew? well it's quite effective stuff.

Do not use car engine type oils as general lubricants. I know, we all used to, but it now has a package of quite unpleasant additives to deal with combustion products and lead-based bearings.

So Automatic transmission oil (which is also used as hydraulic fluid in power steering), is generally available and free from the nasties. It seems to only have an anti-foaming agent. The thinners is also generally available, thins the ATF and gets it into awkward places quite successfully. It also evaporates cleanly and leaves good lubricant behind. Just mind out for plastics and paint.

David
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 7:03 pm   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

I have a feeling that this added sleeve is keyed and will not turn on the smaller shaft. It should lift straight up. Perhaps try a small screwdriver to lift it if there’s enough room between the sleeve and the deck.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 8:35 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Have not seen a keyed one before on the Akai 4000 range or similar Akai.

I assume the 4000GS in Post # 1 is a typo, i.e. most likely should read 4000DS.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 10:05 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

4000GS is a facelifted version with their Glass and Xtal head. Track switch moved out of head box as well.

Tha Akai sleeves are not keyed an any way, but what most people don't notice is that the bottom end of the capstan had a conical flare as it steps up to a larger diameter. The sleeve has a slight conical rebate on its opening, so when it sits on the capstan cone-on-cone gives accurate centring The underside of the nut is flat and faces onto the flat face of the outer end of the sleeve. It takes decent precision to not have terrible flutter with a sleeve adaptor, and it's the 7.5IPS speed that bears the brunt.

David
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 10:58 pm   #14
garry71
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I have a feeling that this added sleeve is keyed and will not turn on the smaller shaft. It should lift straight up. Perhaps try a small screwdriver to lift it if there’s enough room between the sleeve and the deck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Have not seen a keyed one before on the Akai 4000 range or similar Akai.

I assume the 4000GS in Post # 1 is a typo, i.e. most likely should read 4000DS.
The manual for the x150D says it has a keyed capstan shaft, but no mention of a screw head for it, so the 4000GS might just be the slip on type.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 11:11 pm   #15
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Interesting, I have not seen the keyed/notched type before on Akai.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:25 am   #16
garry71
Tetrode

Quote:
I thought all Akais had a notched capstan until I got my 4000D
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:01 am   #17
red16v
Heptode

Various ways of fitting the resized capstan to the original. This website has some useful info.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Akai_R...eplacement.htm
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:05 am   #18
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
David, looking back this is a kit I bought for the X201D I recently passed on to you. But, it did not fit and the hifi shop I bought it from was most embarrassed! Note that the pinchwheel is a smaller diameter than the OEM one - that is probably the one I found and gave you, the capstan is long gone - it was nearly 50 years ago!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-A...-/113961240009
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:14 am   #19
Andrew2
Nonode

I'd be very wary of using any levering method, you can so easily put a slight bend in the capstan and you'll never get rid of the wow/flutter.
I came across bent capstan quite often when people had got a tape jammed in their cassette decks and the tape had wound itself tightly around the capstan. Instead of bringing the machine in for proper attention, they would attempt to force the tape out and the poor capstan bore the brunt!
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:18 am   #20
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
4000GS is a facelifted version with their Glass and Xtal head. Track switch moved out of head box as well.

Tha Akai sleeves are not keyed an any way, but what most people don't notice is that the bottom end of the capstan had a conical flare as it steps up to a larger diameter. The sleeve has a slight conical rebate on its opening, so when it sits on the capstan cone-on-cone gives accurate centring The underside of the nut is flat and faces onto the flat face of the outer end of the sleeve. It takes decent precision to not have terrible flutter with a sleeve adaptor, and it's the 7.5IPS speed that bears the brunt.

David

Still have not heard of a 4000GS, what you are describing sounds like the GX-4000D
Closed Thread