UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2020, 12:58 pm   #1
Guitarist28
Heptode

Default Copicat tensioner - Mk4 solid state

Good afternoon all
I do hope that you are all keeping well and safe under the present circumstances.

I finally bought a mk 4 solid state copicat for a reasonable amount of money. The outside looks in worse condition than the inside but at the moment that is the least concern.
When is arrived the tensioner arm was loose and the jockey wheel had fallen off. I removed the tensioner arm from the main unit only to find that the internal threads are quite worn (as taken from the pics of the arms and wheels). However, in turning the tensioner arm over (the pic of the arm on its own) and reattaching the jockey wheel etc (the washers are not in the pic) they feel quite tight. Is it just a simple as using the arm the other way up from now on? Also should I use some threadlock such a Loctite purple when reattaching the spindle and jockey wheel in case they come loose again in the future?

Many thanks

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my copicat mk4.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	204002   Click image for larger version

Name:	tensioner complete.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	204003   Click image for larger version

Name:	tensioner arm upside down.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	204004  
Old 27th Apr 2020, 12:10 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Copicat tensioner - Mk4 solid state

Is the arm made from painted aluminium?

I would be tempted to turn it over and use threadlock.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 12:19 pm   #3
Guitarist28
Heptode

Its just an aluminium block.

It just seemed too simple just to turn it over but I suppose it's the easiest and most logical thing to do. I'm just a bit concerned if the threadlock gets onto the wheel it might stick so it will have to be used in a very careful manner.

Many thanks
Old 27th Apr 2020, 4:55 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Remember to clean out the aluminium block threaded holes first as well as cleaning the actual threaded bar. Might sound silly but often gets forgotten about. If the threaded bar is a slack fit on the threads, there is a loctite thread adhesive that is designed to fill in larger gaps and I think is green in colour, if memory serves type 427 or 428. Used to use some years back, when working as a maintenance electrician. It even works on round bar, so don't put too much on!
Closed Thread