UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2009, 1:46 pm   #1
paolo
Heptode

Default Revox B77 MkII High Speed

I've been a bit tardy in writing up this one, mainly because of the Christmas/New Year break and because its summer here and its been far too nice to slave over a hot keyboard .

However, a couple of months ago, I picked up a rather nice Revox B77 MkII reel to reel tape recorder. Its the high speed version (7.5ips and 15ips), twin track model. This particular unit is one of the last ones to be made. It was purchased in late 1991 and the chassis is marked January 28, 1988. January 28 is rather spooky as that's my birthday. However, I digress.

The machine was essentially in exellent mechanical condition when I picked it up. It had been purchased by a local performing arts centre as part of the initial inventory but had never seen much use. In fact, it had spent the last 10 years in a cupboard collecting copious amounts of dust.

I got it home and did a thorough clean up. It was filthy. I then plugged it in to see what was what. Before anyone winces, the person I bought it from had already plugged it in to see if it worked, so I figured I could hardly make things worse . Lo and behold, it all worked pretty much perfectly. One VU meter light was out, the counter belt was broken, the left record toggle switch had been snapped off and the right one was hanging on by a thread. Nevertheless, it started, stopped, recorded and played as one would expect.

All that was required was some general TLC to the case. I ordered some replacements from Germany. Instead of the complete switch, I simply bought some replacement switch shafts. They are made of metal rather than plastic. Replacement is a case of removing the switch, drilling out a brass rivet and replacing the toggle. A screw/nut assembly substitutes for the rivet. Hopefully they will last forever! For the belts and lamp, I ordered a service kit from Italy.

I replaced the counter belt and dismantled the entire machine to replace the toggles. I took the opportunity to clean the audio control PCB and make sure that all the connections on the audio daughter cards were sparkling.

After a stupid mistake with the wiring to the power switch, I managed to get it all back together and now its working 100%. I am extremely happy with it. I used to drool over Revox catalogues when I was younger but they were always beyond my reach. In fact, this might be my favourite toy Even my wife makes approving noises! Although the 4 track version would be more economical with tape, the two track sound is hard to beat!

Its well worth perservering with these machines. Although parts are expensive, they really are built like tanks and quite easy to deal with. Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped out with guiding me on my journey!

Rather than duplicate the series of photos already posted in my B77 thread in the Vintage Tape section, I thought I'd post a video instead

Paul
Old 29th Jan 2009, 9:22 pm   #2
batterymaker1
Heptode

Default Re: Revox B77 MkII High Speed

That thing by itself looks expensive.

And the playback is smooooooooooooooooth at 7.5 alone....

Blew me away at 15.

Gorgeous machine.
Old 30th Jan 2009, 12:27 am   #3
paolo
Heptode

Thanks batterymaker These machines were very expensive when new. Totally out of reach for me, certainly. These days, they can be picked up for reasonable money but the big problem is finding one that hasn't been thrashed and in need to new heads. The playback head alone costs US$400! There are also lots of other things than can wear out and go wrong too. However, for my money the Revox B77 and A77 take a lot of beating. The sound is very, very smooth. The video can't really do it justice though because although the audio is from the machine itself, the process of turning it into a reasonably sized video means that what you're hearing is basically a 192kbps mp3! Its MUCH punchier than this really.

Some people swear that Tandberg made better machines or that the Pioneer 909 is the best, but I'll just have to take their word on that,

Unless I find one in reasonable condition, that is......
Old 5th Feb 2009, 8:32 pm   #4
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Revox B77 MkII High Speed

That is superb !
No other word for it.

We've got one at our local radio station, (That I have to look after) that's been used to log programmes for the last 20 years, you should hear that
Probably the worst B77 in the entire world lol.

Well done Paolo, that's a brilliant machine.

Regards

Dr. Watts
Old 6th Feb 2009, 2:29 am   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Well done Paul. I love these Revoxes. Get a good tape in one of those @15ips and you can't beat it!
I wonder if I should get the PR99 down from the loft...............
Old 6th Feb 2009, 10:20 am   #6
paolo
Heptode

Thank you both for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I wonder if I should get the PR99 down from the loft...............
There can only be one answer to THAT question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Watts View Post
That is superb !
We've got one at our local radio station, (That I have to look after) that's been used to log programmes for the last 20 years, you should hear that
Probably the worst B77 in the entire world lol.
I doubt it! There are lots and lots of thrashed and trashed B and A77's. As you know, though, the good thing is that they can be repaired and restored easily due to the ready availability of spare parts. The bad thing is that said parts are expensive. Mind you, I'd rather invest in keeping one of these going than a Technics or a Pioneer. More chance of keeping one going as well!

Incidentally, in case someone pulls up this thread in a future search and is wondering what tape I am using in the video, its RMGI SM911. Very, very good tape, but it wants to be for the price

Paul
Closed Thread