UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2015, 3:34 pm   #1
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Default Capacitor Help

Hello!
I'm currently in the process of re-capping my Commodore PET in the hope that it will fix a few problems.

Unfortunately, given my limited understanding of electronics I struggle to decode the numbers on some of the tantalum caps. If you guys can help me i'll be very very grateful! Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9443.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	105702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9445.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	105703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9446.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	105704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9447.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	105705   Click image for larger version

Name:	three.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	105706  

Old 16th Mar 2015, 3:51 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Capacitor Help

The last three photos are of ceramic disc capacitors, and they are highly unlikely to cause any problems. Assuming there's a V after the 16 in photo 1, yes you're right.
PS none of them are Tantalum.

Edit: This site is helpful here: http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Capacitor_Codes
Old 16th Mar 2015, 4:06 pm   #3
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

D'oh. I knew id name something wrong. Those electrolytic caps are the internal power supply line so i'll replace those first. Thanks for helping
Old 16th Mar 2015, 7:36 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Yes most of those are disk ceramics and are very reliable. That electrolytic on the power rail is a very likely suspect. I'm working on an atom at the moment which is similar vintage to your PET and I had to change every electrolytic in it. You can generally recognise a tantalum cap as they are usually sort of teardrop shape and shiny also they are polarised like a standard electrolytic so one leg will be marked positive or negative.

Jay
Old 17th Mar 2015, 12:19 am   #5
Oldcodger
Nonode

looking at the link AC/HL gave, reminded me of C&G Radio and Line Transmission A, but without the tip/spot etc variations. Tempted to say "When I was a lad", but I won't. But one other very useful source of capacitor identification is OLD ( more than 5 yrs) Maplin catalogues. but in my experience ,(apart from on the factory floor,where myopic production line operatives could fit Tants in in reverse polarity ) ,if the tant is within voltage limit. it seldom fails. As Jay says- even if you have to get out an eyeglass/magnifying glass ,you'll recognise a Tant as it will have a value ( e.g 10u), with a voltage(e.g. 16v)and beside one leg a +. A lot of the slab yellow polyester types ,usually around .1 uf can have leg problems with heat, but usually only if you try to look for dry joints by heating them up .
Old 22nd Mar 2015, 8:24 pm   #6
crudmeister
Retired Dormant Member

I agree with Jay, just replace the electrolytic capacitors as any ceramic disk caps, or film caps are very unlikely to be faulty.
All the best with your restoration/repair!
Closed Thread