UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2015, 1:00 am   #1
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Default Commodore PET problems.

So I have had a recent failure from my Commodore PET 2001 16N.

Started while in normal use when the brightness control was moved.
The computer suddenly froze and displayed
'?ILLIGAL QUANTITY ERROR'

I rebooted it and it just gave me a blank screen
After a while it hung on the garbage character screen
And currently it is booting into BASIC just fine with everything working and then a few seconds later, freezing and crashing completely.

My best guess is that it's just a capacitor (or a few) that are just not tolerating what they are supposed to when they heat up by a small amount but I would like some second opinions and some advice on how to go about diagnosing and fixing. This is a treasured computer of mine so I would really like to fix it.

Many thanks
-Dan
Old 5th Mar 2015, 1:40 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Commodore PET problems.

I have no experience of fixing these (though I did use one in 1980) but bad electrolytics are always the first thing to look at with these symptoms.
Old 5th Mar 2015, 10:44 am   #3
camallison
Heptode

Power supply caps or internal supply line caps are the main suspect. I worked in the team that introduced these to UK manufacture and remember those caps being marginal spec.

Colin
Old 5th Mar 2015, 5:07 pm   #4
SteveCG
Nonode

I've not looked inside one of these. Are any of the ICs mounted in holders - as distinct from being soldered to the motherboard? If there are some then try gently lifting them up a little and then re-seat them.
Old 5th Mar 2015, 11:32 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Pretty much all ic's in a PET are socketed, one thing I would say is the board is full of tantalum capacitors and pound to a penny some of them will be on there last legs by now.

Jay
Old 6th Mar 2015, 12:31 pm   #6
MeanDumpsterCat
Pentode

Thanks a lot for all the help, guys. I'll definitely try cap replacement . Does anyone know where I can find details on the electrolytic and tantalum caps that the commodore PET uses? Just to make life a little easier.
Closed Thread