UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2013, 10:21 am   #1
Perd Nerd
Retired Dormant Member

Default Crystal set in a headphone

As a child, one of the first radio receivers I made was from a single ear piece of a Browns WW2 head phone and a glass capsule diode. Apart from a long wire aerial and earth, I do not recall any other components and it picked up the home service very well during the day and Radio Paris at night. Would anyone guess how I wired up the diode in the headphone as it is too distant a memory for me ?
Old 30th Aug 2013, 11:14 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Crystal set in a headphone

The simplest possible radio is an aerial and earth connected to a headphone with a diode in the aerial connection to rectify the signal. It doesn't matter which way round the diode is connected. The result will be completely untuned and will pick up whichever station is strongest.

Practical crystal set designs incorporate a tuned coil to select a particular frequency.
Old 30th Aug 2013, 12:51 pm   #3
Perd Nerd
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for reminding me how simple this was PaulS and I do recall that I concealed the diode inside the headphone and that the earth was to a lead water main, where it came out of the ground. A pair of Brown type headphones in those days was about 1 shilling at the local Government Surplus shop, where WW2 transceivers were 2/6d for a WS38 and 5 bob for a Type 88 ( as seen).

Anyway, if the old electromagnetic headphones were still readily available, this would still be a great introduction to the world of radio for a youngster but somehow I don't think they would find it as exciting as we did in the 1950's.

A fully tuneable crystal set kit with plug in coils came to me later as a birthday present and, when I was banished to boarding school, I assembled a Henry's Radio Major-2 transistor radio which was a hot little job and got me though many a bleak night, secreted under my pillow with hearing aid ear piece. I wonder if any of those still survive?
Old 7th Jul 2014, 4:30 pm   #4
vu2nan-nandu
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perd Nerd View Post
As a child, one of the first radio receivers I made was from a single ear piece of a Browns WW2 head phone and a glass capsule diode. Apart from a long wire aerial and earth, I do not recall any other components and it picked up the home service very well during the day and Radio Paris at night. Would anyone guess how I wired up the diode in the headphone as it is too distant a memory for me ?
I suppose you wired it this way!

http://nandustips.blogspot.in/2011/0...tal-radio.html
Old 17th Jul 2014, 7:49 am   #5
Robsradio
Heptode

This thread has taken me right back to being a nipper, it was the attraction of no batteries or mains needed that drew me in, I think the article was in one of my Dad's Eagle Annuals?
Closed Thread