UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2008, 1:50 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thumbs up Marconi Mini

Hi all, I have a few TV's lined up for restoration, so I thought I would make a start on the smallest .

This little TV came from a house clearance, it was filthy, covered in paint spots and missing two of its knob brights, the other thing I noticed was that the tuner buttons would not stay in.

On removal of the back, I was greeted with a very dusty untouched chassis. After a good clean and inspection, I powered it up, amazingly it came up with a reasonable picture, if a little out of focus and lacking contrast.

The first thing I tackled was the tuner fault. On removal of the pushbutton unit, the reason the buttons were failing to lock in became obvious; the plastic washers that hold the springs had disintegrated. I came up with a method of repair (see seperate thread, in Vintage Television).

After successful repair of the tuner, all that was required was a few adjustments of the presets aand the set was working well. After being on for a few hours, the picture has noticeably improved and is very stable.

I then turned my attention to the cabinet, starting with the front of the set. I used a mix of washing powder and kitchen spray aided with an old toothbrush to clean all the muck from the speaker grille, then it was the turn of the rear half. This was put in the sink, given the same treatment and rinsed off with hot water and allowed to dry off. Luckily all the paint spots came off easily, it was then re-assembled and I am watching it as I write this.

I am pleased with this little set, not used for years due to its tuner fault,
It is nice to see it back to its former glory, another one saved from the landfill.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inbefore.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	22055   Click image for larger version

Name:	inbefore1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	22056   Click image for larger version

Name:	outbefore.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	22057   Click image for larger version

Name:	outbefore1.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	22058   Click image for larger version

Name:	outbefore2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	22059  

Last edited by Station X; 30th Dec 2008 at 10:18 am.
Old 26th Dec 2008, 1:52 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi Mini

And the After photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	22060   Click image for larger version

Name:	after1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	22061   Click image for larger version

Name:	after2.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	22062   Click image for larger version

Name:	chassisafter.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	22063   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	22064  

Old 26th Dec 2008, 3:51 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

They're damn good little sets these - they just carry on working but are often put out of action by mechanical problems. They come in different colours and they are very good for camping or using outside on a nice day.

Well done with the restoration.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 12:37 pm   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Mark.

That's a nice job you've done there. There was an almost identical (to look at) model but using the 1580 hybrid chassis but I suspect that they're a lot rarer

I may be able to get hold of a replacement aluminium cap for that tuner button if you're interested.
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 1:15 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

The 1580 chassis - had a capacitive dropper for the valves - drop the mains and see what happens with one! Some took ages to get going. The capacitor was, I think, 4.33 uF.

There was a difference - the slats on the speaker system. Horizontal on the 1590, Vertical on the 1580.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 10:05 pm   #6
mark pirate
Dekatron

Hi taz,
Quote:
I may be able to get hold of a replacement aluminium cap for that tuner button if you're interested.
Yes please, it is also missing the cap for the volume control, i think it is the same as the tuner.

Mark
Closed Thread