UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2007, 11:12 pm   #1
liamoliver
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ibm Pc At 5170

I recently aquired a huge load of old computing equipment (including a CGA monitor for a PC 5150) from a house clearance in Kenton. In addition to a lot of rubbish taken purely out of pity I recieved this: an original PC AT. However, despite being told that it worked when last used (about ten years ago) it does not. Seemingly the power supply is at fault, as when plugged in the cooling fan does not spin up. There is a slight crackling noise coming from the PSU when turned on, and after a while it trips my circuit breaker. Is there any way this could be repaired, as I greatly doubt that I would ever find a suitable replacement now?
Old 9th Jul 2007, 9:58 am   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Ibm Pc At 5170

Your best chance to repair it is to spot the failed components which will probably be capacitors. My experience is that if it isn't anything fairly obvious then it is hard to diagnose the fault.

I think the only difficulty replacing an AT power supply may be getting one that physically fits. It established a standard of the electrical details which didn't change much over the years and indeed I probably have a few slightly later ones that would power it OK. The variations were in details like the switch-on arrangements.
Old 9th Jul 2007, 7:44 pm   #3
liamoliver
Retired Dormant Member

How exactly would I test the components? Can a faulty capacitor really crackle and trip the switch?
Old 9th Jul 2007, 7:53 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamoliver View Post
How exactly would I test the components? Can a faulty capacitor really crackle and trip the switch?
There are often capacitors connected directly between Live+Earth and Neutral+Earth. If one of these is faulty, an RCD will certainly trip.

I would find these capacitors and TEMPORARILY remove them both. This might get things working. But do replace them to prevent severe interference etc.

Note that power supplies like this contain big eletrolytic "can" capacitors, which can store quite a charge for a while after unplugging. Obviously, this can be a severe shock hazard, so be careful!

Nick.
Closed Thread