UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2021, 1:07 pm   #1
Grundig60s
Diode

Default Grundig 1960s Radiogram Mandello 7GB Needing Repair

Hi,

Brand new here and very limited knowledge of my radiogram. I've owned it for 2 years now and recently had a couple of issues and not sure how to get it repaired. Can anyone help?

Issue 1 - vinyl player immediately stops playing when at 45BPM
Issue 2 - sound is almost inaudible when at 33BPM

Checked speakers by playing the radio and also phone via bluetooth and working absolutely fine so appears to be a connection between the vinyl player and the speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 1st Dec 2021, 7:25 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig 1960s Radiogram Mandello 7GB Needing Repair

It sounds very much like it needs a new cartridge. Don't solder directly to the cartridge, use the pull off tags, as heat will immediately destroy a new cartridge. The deck may also need a service and re-lubrication.

From your post, you seem to be asking for someone to repair it for you. If this is the case, then your post will be moved to a special section for this purpose. The down side of this is that members will no longer be allowed to offer advice, unless they're actually going to offer the repair service. Radiograms are too big for most workbenches and workshops, so you may struggle to get any offers and any you get may turn out to be expensive - for obvious good reason.

So you need to decide whether you're going to see if you can get someone to come to your house and try to repair it there or take it away for repair, or whether you're going to try to do it yourself with advice from members...your choice.
Old 1st Dec 2021, 7:34 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Your Mandello 7 uses a Philips made deck and a Philips plug-in stereo head. If yours has failed (as they do) and it sounds like it, they can be bought for about £40/45-00. You may well need a GP200 head - what's the number on yours? These just pull off and plug in - so you can fit it.
Old 1st Dec 2021, 8:06 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Ah, it's one of those Philips decks - that's good and bad news. If it is the cartridge at fault and you want a challenge, a cheap Chinese cartridge can be grafted into the headshell. It's worth checking for bad connections and other things first, though.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:05 pm   #5
Grundig60s
Diode

Thanks both for your replies, sorry for taking so long to acknowledge! Ideally would like someone to come and repair if possible given my very limited knowledge. Wouldn't mind seeing an expert put their skills to it so I can observe for future.
Appreciate the tip about how people can't offer advice, not sure how this forum works either!
Thanks again
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:34 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundig60s View Post
Thanks both for your replies, sorry for taking so long to acknowledge! Ideally would like someone to come and repair if possible given my very limited knowledge. Wouldn't mind seeing an expert put their skills to it so I can observe for future.
Appreciate the tip about how people can't offer advice, not sure how this forum works either!
Thanks again
In this section people can offer as much advice and assistance as they wish and you need.

The section Techman is referring to is this one.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145

This section is requesting a service and posts that don't offer a service are removed.

This is to ensure genuine offers of assistance are not lost under "have you tried this" sort of posts.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:47 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Thanks again
Forum member (and moderator) Michael Maurice carries out such repairs and restorations on a commercial basis. You could either send him a personal message on the forum, or contact him via his website at this link:

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/

If you check his forum threads, you will note that he travels the length and breadth of the UK doing mobile repairs.

Hope that might help.
Old 30th Dec 2021, 2:48 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Thanks again
There are Members of this Forum you may live local to you. Why not just Post a request for their help, less this Post just goes round and round in circles. This may be very easy to fix, but some costs will be involved.