UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2009, 8:10 pm   #1
Richard675
Pentode

Default Radio 4 and "Five Live" on vintage radio

Does anyone know what type of modulation is used on 693/909 kHz for "Five Live" ?These days it reminds me somewhat of the old Voice of America 'sound'.

Also, BBC R4 LW seems to have a very wide/very full audio bandwidth, more processing I suppose, almost as if my receiver bandwidth isn't quite wide enough!

I am listening on a Grundig Elite Boy 1974 era.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 8:31 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Radio 4 and "Five Live" on vintage radio

All UK AM broadcasts have heavy audio processing applied, partly to maximise modulation levels and partly to give a 'punchy' sound which broadcasters are convinced listeners prefer.

Five Live also suffers from phase distortion from adjacent transmitters, especially after dark. The old Radio 1 1247kHz network now used by Absolute Radio is even worse in this respect.

Paul
Old 12th Jun 2009, 8:55 pm   #3
Richard675
Pentode

Paul
Quote:
'punchy' sound which broadcasters are convinced listeners prefer.
yes, this actually limits the amount of time I can listen to "five live". Just simply horrible mod.
Quote:
Five Live also suffers from phase distortion from adjacent transmitters, especially after dark. The old Radio 1 1247kHz network now used by Absolute Radio is even worse in this respect.
ahh yes, and don't forget the wailing trumpets from Radio Tirana at sign on, also on 247m heard from as early as 1600z in the winter.......dear listeners!

As a child I could never understand what was happening, blamed the radio..
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:38 pm   #4
Station X

I always thought that R4 was the only BBC radio station which didn't use any form of speech compression or processing,

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:43 pm   #5
electrogram
Heptode

the sound quality of five live is very good at all times, I find, but R4 on LW is truly appalling most of the time, why is it not as good as five live? there is no valid excuse for this, it is due to incopetence/indifference at the BBC, or perhaps something more sinister, hope I don't get my post removed again when commenting on this subject
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:47 pm   #6
Station X

By all means discuss the technical quality of broadcasts, but don't turn this thread into a rant about the BBC, government, Castle transmitters, the EU etc. We've been there and done that several times already.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:48 pm   #7
paulsherwin

There seem to have been ongoing problems with R4 LW modulation for several years now. Mostly it's fine, but sometimes it sounds very grainy and unpleasant.

Please don't turn this thread into a general moan about the BBC and falling technical standards. That would be OT for the forum, and will result in the thread being closed.

Paul
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:54 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I always thought that R4 was the only BBC radio station which didn't use any form of speech compression or processing,
They definitely use LOADS on LW. Just listen to the Big Ben chimes at 6pm and the newsreader that talks over them. It sounds like the automatic recording-level control on a cheap 1970s Hong-Kong cassette recorder!

(Not a complaint... I can see why they do it. But a world apart from how it sounds on FM).

Buy an SSTran modulator. Then you can feed it with a high quality signal and choose how much compression you apply, if any.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 12th Jun 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 9:55 pm   #9
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Oddly enough, listen to the World Service in the early hours and it sounds fine.

I wonder why there is a difference (unless it is my ears)?
Old 12th Jun 2009, 10:02 pm   #10
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Don't forget that R4 LW modulation has to cope with a very narrowband antenna, which I believe requires pre-distortion of the modulation. Also they have to leave some carrier at negative audio peaks because this is a standard frequency transmission and it carries slow phase modulation for various reasons.

Then there are co-channel transmitters up in Scotland so if you live in the wrong place or turn your ferrite rod the wrong way you could get selective cancellation of the carrier or one sideband which will muck up the perceived modulation.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 10:46 pm   #11
Oldtimer74
Rest in Peace

Listen to R3 on VHF. I don`t think there is any processing there (unlike classic FM)
Pat G3IKR
Old 12th Jun 2009, 10:49 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

I can accept the LW transmitting aerial imposes limitations on the audio bandwidth, as the audio frequencies are a significant fraction of the transmitted frequency 198kHz. But pre-distortion implies a non-linear effect which I'm having difficulty accepting!

Before 1978, the LW transmitter was, of course, the music station Radio 2, and I don't remember the sound quality being bad then.
Old 12th Jun 2009, 10:50 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer74 View Post
Listen to R3 on VHF. I don`t think there is any processing there (unlike classic FM)
Pat G3IKR
There is compression and limiting on R3 FM, especially during the evening 'drivetime' slot, but it is less heavily processed than the other BBC radio networks. Even the R3 digital feeds are processed.

Paul
Old 13th Jun 2009, 10:36 am   #14
Richard675
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:
Pat G3IKR
There is compression and limiting on R3 FM, especially during the evening 'drivetime' slot, but it is less heavily processed than the other BBC radio networks. Even the R3 digital feeds are processed.

Paul

I'm sure R3 only added compression etc once Classic FM got under way. Before that I struggled to hear any R3 FM in the car as the audio was just too flat.

However the processing isn't as much as Classic FM.

Anyone noticed if the commercials on fm stations are made louder than the progs, like on satellite tv?
Old 13th Jun 2009, 5:55 pm   #15
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The old Radio 1 1247kHz network now used by Absolute Radio

Paul
That's spooky init? Radio 1 used to be on 247 metres
Old 13th Jun 2009, 6:29 pm   #16
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Radio 4 and "Five Live" on vintage radio

247 The light program !

Radio Five sounds like they use old carbon telephone microphones all the time.
The World Service which did use to have a lot of analogue telephone correspondents now sound a lot better than Radio Five.

Geof
Old 14th Jun 2009, 11:32 am   #17
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Strangely I havnt noticed problems with R4 on longwave that I can think of . I listen to it mostly on my HMV 907 and it seams very good . but the set does produce good output . I was listening to my 1939 ever ready battery set outside while doing work yesterday and the BIG ben chimes were sounding lovely and full from it .
I have noticed very poor sound quality on a number of MW programes though especially the music ones , quite distorted and I cant be bothered to listen to them.
Old 15th Jun 2009, 12:02 pm   #18
Mach One
Heptode

Quote:
Pat G3IKR
All BBC Analogue radio has some form of processing applied - in differing amounts - and generally intelligently. Even DAB has some I understand, but the satellite feeds and Freeview are not all processed.

All BBC AM transmitters are limited in their upper frequency response to somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5kHz unfortunately, by international agreement to reduce the likelyhood of interference to neighbouring transmissions - although only a few of the more obedient European countries seems to follow this ruling.
Old 15th Jun 2009, 7:17 pm   #19
Richard675
Pentode

I've been listening to the other LW adjacent stations, France, Eire etc and their mod sounds "cleaner" that BBC R4. I note the sound of "s" can sound distorted from some speech. (there is a technical word for this but I've forgotten what it is) It sounds at times like the transmitted af bandwidth is too wide for my receiver! This cannot be the case due to technical reasons already described.
Old 15th Jun 2009, 9:00 pm   #20
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Witney View Post
(there is a technical word for this but I've forgotten what it is)
...sibilance??

Some radio's seem to be able to cope with compression better than others. As an example, my Superinductance set that uses an anode bend detector has trouble with most of the music stations. R1 and Gold are particularly bad. However R4 and FiveLive sound good with R4 probably best.

However a much later radio like a Stella ST160 sounds fine on most AM.

Rich.