UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2009, 9:37 am   #41
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Bush srp41 humming!

The picture this time, the two AD's can just about be seen on the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srp2a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	24249  
Old 1st Apr 2009, 9:53 am   #42
thegreat26
Tetrode

Default Re: Bush srp41 humming!

as for the disassebly i did it . it is quite the same like the srp51. if you take the metalic panel it easy to access the transistors . my only worry is that i am a complete amateur in doing this. I want to learn but i do not know if its sth i can handle it. if you think i can do it by myself i will give it a try.But i like this player and i want to use it.
Old 1st Apr 2009, 12:56 pm   #43
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation Re: Bush srp41 humming!

You seem to be doing all right so far. Provided you can solder and have a suitable soldering iron then you should be able to change the transistors, preferably if you have some experience of doing this type of work.

They have to be accessed from other side of the panel and the AD161 has insulating mica washer and plastic bushes on the fixing screws, held on by 6 BA nuts I believe. These must be refitted to the new transistor. The wires can be unsoldered from the transistor and should still go straight onto the new transistor, making note of which pin they came from. The white heatsink grease should still be good for the new transistors, it should be retained as much as possible.

The colours are;

Blue; Collector going to the tag

Green; Base

Yellow; Emitter.

The transistors ideally should be checked to see which one of the junctions has gone faulty by using a multi-meter on the diode range across the base collector emitter forward and reverse. I am making the assumption you are familiar with this. The driver transistor should be checked though this being silicon has more than likely survived. If it has failed it may have damaged the base bias adjustable pot VR5 50 Ohm which otherwise would not need touching until the new transistors are in place and the overall current measured in the pink lead.

This is not the easiest of repairs and if you are not familiar with electronics it would be better to find a repairer to carry out the work.

Geof
Old 1st Apr 2009, 2:59 pm   #44
thegreat26
Tetrode

i suppose the only think left is to find them somewhere and buy them.
Old 1st Apr 2009, 8:57 pm   #45
Steve_P
Dekatron

Did you disconnect the Mains Transformer?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 1st Apr 2009, 9:24 pm   #46
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post

Cheers,

Steve P.
Seems the control panel where the output transistors are just below is getting very hot. This could have had a knock on effect of damaging the transformer and rectifiers if they where run overloaded for too long. A substitute load connected to the power supply would show if it is still working without getting hot. A leakage tester would show up a faulty transformer but that is not likely to be available.

Geof
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 1:00 pm   #47
thegreat26
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post

Cheers,

Steve P.
no when should i disconnected it. or just to check if its the transformers fault.
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 2:58 pm   #48
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

If the panel is getting very hot then this would be the main problem, if the wires to the output transistors can be located on the inside of the panel then a meter on the diode check range can check the combination of emitter collector base to see if a junction is faulty. The rectifiers can be checked in the same way. If the transformer stays cool when disconnected then this should be ok, the pilot light should also light normally unless the transformer has a shorted turn which is probably unlikely, the transformer would buzz louder than normal if it was being loaded due to a short.
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 9:20 pm   #49
thegreat26
Tetrode

ok i ve disconnected the pink and black cable and after 20 minutes of operation there was no sign of heat.

Last edited by thegreat26; 2nd Apr 2009 at 9:43 pm.
Old 3rd Apr 2009, 2:01 pm   #50
thegreat26
Tetrode

He he strange but i found ad 161/2 in cyprus i ll have them tomorrow!
Old 4th Apr 2009, 11:22 am   #51
thegreat26
Tetrode

i ve manage to replace the ad 161/2 and there is no more humming. There is slightly humming but at normal levels. After one side of playing a record the mains is just warm . so i supposed i fixed it. Thank you all for your support.
Old 4th Apr 2009, 12:16 pm   #52
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Seems that you have fixed it, the bias level should be the same and will not need readjusting, though it might have been an idea to see what the overall current being drawn is to make sure you are not overdriving the base current of the replacements. The driver has survived if the unit is working. And it would have been interesting to know which of the transistors had failed by measuring the forward and reverse junctions.
Old 4th Apr 2009, 6:20 pm   #53
thegreat26
Tetrode

ok i ve still have it open. If its not difficult for you inform me what to do step by step and what should i check to prevent future failures
Old 5th Apr 2009, 10:27 am   #54
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

You simply measure the quiescent current with a mA meter connected in series with the pink wire. It should read about 10mA with the volume turned down.

And for the transistors you removed the diode range could be used to see if one of the junctions was leaky, though if they where both still working as such this would be more difficult to determine. It is my guess one transistor had gone short collector emitter.

But as you have essentially finished the repair the thread is getting off topic so any more on this will have to be a new one.

Geof
Old 5th Apr 2009, 11:00 am   #55
thegreat26
Tetrode

ok thanx again. And please you can close the thread problem solved.

Last edited by thegreat26; 5th Apr 2009 at 11:12 am.
Closed Thread