UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2020, 3:35 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Capacitors query

Can anyone help identify these surface mount capacitors for me - I appreciate that they are 3K3 but what type and voltage??

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM_Caps.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	208341

What would be a suitable replacement?

I'm looking to substitute these surface mount types with radial types unless anyone can suggest an alternative? I don't have the equipment or skills for SMD soldering.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 3:54 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Capacitors query

They are electrolytic types. Are you sure they are not 22uF at 50V? They look a bit small for 3300uF even for surface mount types. Besides I don't think 3300uF would be coded 3k3. What is the equipment they are used in and where in the circuit are they?
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:01 pm   #3
snowman_al
Octode

I agree they are 22uF 50 volt electrolytic caps. The 3K3 is confusing, but is the series or type number. Black 'moon' is negative of course.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:04 pm   #4
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Sideband and snowman_al for the quick responses.

I'm not sure hence my query - but your suggestions makes sense??

They are used on the main board on an audio amplifier - all sections?

What about replacements - thanks?
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:42 pm   #5
snowman_al
Octode

Just my own preference,
I like Nichicon 'Fine Gold' series in the signal path and Panasonic 'FM' series for decoupling etc. But either are fine electrolytics for audio use in any location.
Alan
Old 12th Jun 2020, 6:59 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post

What about replacements - thanks?
Well of course you should replace like with like. However WITH CARE you can probably use an axial replacement electrolytic. I cut the leads as short as practical and bend the leads into an 'L' shape. You will need a hot iron to remove the old cap (assuming it is actually faulty) and be very careful not to lift the pads. Clean the pads after wards and then check the new cap for fitting. The 'L' makes a convenient way of soldering the leads to the pads. With care, you can make quite a neat job. Make sure you get iot the right way round!
Old 12th Jun 2020, 7:39 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

I agree, bending the leads in an L or J shape usually works fine. I use radials though, I presume you meant that as well.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 9:33 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I use radials though, I presume you meant that as well.

.....Yes I meant radials.......what a dummy!

Should be possible to get reasonably small ones and they won't look too bad. You might need to check if they are 105 degree low ESR types. Its
important in some circuit possitions.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 10:51 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

For soldering and particularly unsoldering these I use two soldering irons at once, one in each hand and flip the part off the board.

Sounds silly, but it works nicely.

Alternatively a good hot-air station with a large nozzle is needed and these do tend to cook parts and blow neighbouring parts away.

I've been using Panasonic 105C SMD radials for 15 years and subjecting them to hellish environments (-40C +80C, crash test, shock, vibration, humidity, high altitude and explosive decompression etc) and found them good. The only problem was a suite of tests simulating operation in a helicopter with its rotor badly out of balance, and a dab of epoxy to the board fixed that. Oh, and I was really pushing the current surge rating hard all the time.

NIC also do some equally good parts and the hilariously named type NACK ( NIC NACK!) doesn't need the added glue.

As for granularity, authority, soundstaging and fast bass, I haven't a clue. They just worked as excellent capacitors all throughout

David