UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2016, 11:56 am   #1
jonmiller
Pentode

Default Eddystone 659/670 Case Removal.

Hello

I am looking at trying to get the back off the above Eddystone rx. Obviously the four chrome screws are out, but the back steel pressing is very tightly on.
Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Jonathan
Old 21st Apr 2016, 12:23 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Eddystone 659/670

I only know a few eddystone types, but on those the chrome knurled screws at the back come off, then the front panel and chassis slide out from the front as you pull on the front panel handles, leaving the rear panel, top, sides and bottom of the case as a single (spot welded together) unit. You may need someone to hold onto the outer case to get the front out.

David
Old 21st Apr 2016, 12:31 pm   #3
deliverance
Heptode

If you look underneath where the case meets the front panel there should be two half moon cuts gently with a flat blade screw driver turn in the slots and that will make it easier to remove the case .
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 10:40 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

My 670 does not appear to have the cut outs. I had difficulty removing the rear cover.

Is it possible to feed large zip ties or a thin leather belt through the rear holes of the rear cover. Remove the four rear bolts then support the radio from the belt about an inch above a sofa or other soft surface (face downward). Then tap the rear cover gently on the sides with a rubber mallet. I think this is the method I used. It was a tight friction fit.
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 7:37 am   #5
Barraman
Tetrode

You could try:

1) Run a little WD40 into the case/front panel join. Leave for an hour or two.

2) Use a hair-dryer to heat the join, all the way round the case.

3) With radio on it's chrome handles, slap the sides of the case with the flats of the hands, using an upward movement, one side then the other.

Good luck!

Richard
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 8:14 am   #6
jonmiller
Pentode

Default Re: Eddystone 659/670 Case Removal.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The main thing was I did not realise the case is one piece and slides off from the front to the rear.

Kr

Jonathan
Closed Thread