UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2009, 11:16 pm   #1
jelida
Pentode

Default Sobell 516 radio help needed

Hi Group,

I have recently been given a lovely Sobell 516 radio from 1947/8. I have checked the valves, and changed the capacitors. It works well on SW, nice and crisp. However on MW and LW, even with a long wire aerial station reception is very poor and hums loudly as you tune in. I presume this is due to poor alignment, and I have downloaded the servicing sheet from elsewhere on this site. However there is no chassis plan, and I am not presently experienced enough to tell which inductor and variable capacitor is which, to follow the instructions. I have signal generator, meters etc. I need help interpreting the chassis - Does anybody have a plan?

regards, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell 516 rear.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	26240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell 516 under.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	26241  
Old 9th Jun 2009, 11:39 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Sobell 516 radio help needed

Sets of this age do tend to need an aerial it must be said. But a check on alignment and the also the antenna circuits won't go amiss.

Check the shielded cable and any caps you may have missed. It's all to easy to do. If it's not got a cap across the mains, fit an X2 type, 0.01uF or there abouts and see if that improves it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th Jun 2009, 8:48 am   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Hi Jerry, I have listed manufacturers data for this set. Not sure if this is what you already have ? I will need to dig it out and see if it has a chassis layout

Andy
Old 10th Jun 2009, 9:11 am   #4
Station X

The IF trimmer capacitors are simple enough to locate (they'll be inside or adjacent to the IF transformers) and it won't matter much what order they're adjusted in.

The group of three trimmers at top left of your under chassis picture are the local oscilator trimmers C17, C18 and C19. You can check which is which by tracing the wiring from the wavechange switch. This will enable the asociated coils to be identified too.

The group of four trimmers at bottom left are the aerial trimmers. Trace the wiring from the wavechange switch to identify these and their associated coils.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Jun 2009, 10:27 am   #5
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Graham,
It has a 3-gang TC, but I can't see an rf amplifier. Is the aerial circuit double tuned like some Murphys?
Alan
Old 10th Jun 2009, 11:16 am   #6
Station X

As you say there is no RF amplifier. I haven't fully studied the coil switching arrangements, but I assume double tuning is used.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Jun 2009, 2:21 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

If SW is working OK then the IF can't be too bad. You have thoroughly cleaned the waveband switch?
Old 10th Jun 2009, 6:54 pm   #8
jelida
Pentode

Thanks, all for your replies, a great help.and any more appreciated. The info that I have is the Radio Engineers Servicing Manual sheet downloaded elsewhere from this site. A chassis plan would still be useful.Now I have something to go on; but as regards the trimmers, from above chassis protrudes the slotted spindle that can be adjusted with an appropriate tool; below, a nut on the spindle can be adjusted. Do these achieve different things?
I will go over the contacts and check them
regards,
Jerry
Old 11th Jun 2009, 3:58 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

HI Jerry, hopefully the attached will assist in getting this set 'finished'

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	516layout.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	26296  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 11th Jun 2009 at 7:35 pm. Reason: To comply with forum rules.
Old 11th Jun 2009, 10:47 pm   #10
jelida
Pentode

Thanks Andy, thats exactly what I need, hopefully I can sort it now.
regards,
Jerry
Old 19th Jun 2009, 8:42 pm   #11
See_Mos
Hexode

I don't have the circuit handy but if I remember correctly this set uses bandpass tuning on medium wave, hence the three gang tuning.

I would suggest checking the resistor values around the 6K8, the screen grid one tends to go high value.

It might be worth trying another 6K8 but usually the problem here is that the set stops working when tuning shorter wavelengths

Both of the big electrolytic capacitors should be disconnected and new capacitors fitted. It looks as if just one has been bypassed.

I currently have three of these sets. One has a bakelite case and is rusting away in the garage. One was used regularly until quite recently. The other has the half circle dial and was found in an old radio shop still in the box. The box was well rotten but the radio is OK.

Last edited by See_Mos; 19th Jun 2009 at 8:48 pm.
Old 19th Jun 2009, 9:15 pm   #12
Top Cap
Octode

Take care doing I.F. alignment on any radio like this one that uses trimmers instead of ferrite cores. The reason is that the trimmer screw has a good chance of being at HT potential and they are best adjusted with an insulated adjuster. Even the modern trimming tools can show too much metal on the edges at the tip end, I usually place a small heat shrink sleeve over this. This helps to ensure that there is no danger of accidentally shorting the trimmer to the I.F. can as you adjust.