UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2009, 10:29 pm   #1
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Ekco/Ford CR280 car radio questions

Flushed with success following the TV22 I dug out an old valve car radio given to me about 25 years ago. Now I knew this did work as I powered it up about 23 years ago, not knowing that the capacitors needed checking. It ran but some of the caps were starting to get warm so I turned it off and put it away thinking I’ll fix it out of some time later. Today I opened it up, applied 200v to the HT rail, with the heater supply disconnected and there was approx 62v on the output valve grid. That cap was replaced and I opened up the PSU to be greeted by a waxy and a Hunts cap, both of which were replaced.

I powered it up, remembering it was positive earth, and when the heaters had warmed up, the buzzing of the vibrator could be heard in the speaker with a faint station in the background. The PSU cover was then refitted and the resulting lack of interference showed how good the PSU screening is. I could then hear the stations on Long and Medium wave. The vibrator was also causing a lot of audible noise, which wasn’t helped by resting it on the bench acting as a resonator.

So it now works and needs a bit of tidying up but I have a couple of questions. It is an Ekco CR280 but is labelled as a Ford CR280 so presumably was offered as a Ford accessory. The questions are, what is the significance of the name "EnFo" on the front panel and what year was it introduced?

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CR280-1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	26383   Click image for larger version

Name:	CR280-2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	26384  
Old 14th Jun 2009, 11:01 pm   #2
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Re: Ekco/Ford CR280 car radio questions

Hi Keith,
"Enfo" was a name used on many accessories even I think for the antifreeze and touch up paint supplied to the customer via their dealers for Fords definately in the 1950s.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 14th Jun 2009, 11:10 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hi Keith,
En-Fo seems to be nothing more complicated than "English Ford"
Old 15th Jun 2009, 7:19 am   #4
davidw
Heptode

Keith as Bill says above ENFO is simply english ford..another one you may come accross is FoMoCo simply Ford Motor company!
Old 15th Jun 2009, 12:43 pm   #5
KeithsTV
Nonode

Thanks all

I'm familiar with the FoMoCo, having owned 3 Fords in the past. I guess the EnFo must date from the 50s.

I don't know if Ford sourced their radios from different sources or relied on Ekco exclusively. In the early 80s the Fiesta I had was fitted with a Philips radio cassette but badged as a Ford RST21P unit. The original unit was faulty from new and was replaced by another similar unit which also went faulty and was replaced by a Blaupunkt unit still under the same Ford designation.

Somehow I don't think this CR280 will fit in my current car but it does have Long Wave which the current radio doesn't have.

I'd still like to know a date for this radio as there is no date in the service data. My guess would be mid 50s as it uses B8A valves and a vibrator PSU.

Keith
Old 15th Jun 2009, 1:47 pm   #6
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Keith,
Try this Thread for a good guess.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38672
Alan
Old 15th Jun 2009, 7:49 pm   #7
benjamin77
Retired Dormant Member

Checked this out with my father ....he worked as a tool maker at the Dagenham Ford factory for a number of years in the 60s. He recalls his Aunt who was a workshop floor manager at the EKCO factory for over 40 yrs telling him that they made the radios exclusively for Ford @ Dagenham during the late 40's-50's. They where an aftermarket option or accessory to be supplied as an optional extra as very few motors had radios as standard.
Obviously they where badged up as FORD units to disguise the fact that they where EKCO units much as is discussed above with modern day units.
Old 15th Jun 2009, 8:57 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The R&TVS index in Jim Beacon's site shows the CR280 as being in the 1957-58 volume. This is presumably at the start of production.
Closed Thread