UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2009, 1:38 pm   #1
rharness
Tetrode

Default Bulgin mains plug

Hi, I have a bulgin 3 pin mains plug and there's no clamp for the cable inside the plug, any suggestions apart from tying a knot in the cable.

Robert
Old 16th Apr 2009, 1:41 pm   #2
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bulgin mains plug

Robert,
I usually use cable ties, or if it's round, and there's room, a grommet and a cable tie.
Alan
Old 16th Apr 2009, 1:41 pm   #3
dallaslaff
Pentode

Hi, A cable tie pulled tight around the outer insulation, making the diameter too big to pull through?
Les
Old 16th Apr 2009, 1:49 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

What the others said.

Also, cut the green and yellow wire a few centimetres longer than the brown and the blue, and bunch up the excess inside the plug. That way, even if the cable is pulled hard enough to bring the Live or Neutral wire out of its screw terminal (which you will notice as soon as it happens), the Earth wire (whose disconnection you won't notice until it's too late) hopefully will stay connected.
Old 16th Apr 2009, 10:53 pm   #5
rharness
Tetrode

Thanks for the tips but I'm afraid it's too late for the green wire as it's already pumped a few extra volts into my system.
Old 17th Apr 2009, 1:59 am   #6
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
As well as the other sensible suggestions, if you can, you could also try to use a thicker cable which is less likely to break and pull out even without a cord grip.
Yours, Richard
Old 17th Apr 2009, 12:57 pm   #7
pmmunro
Octode

I dont know if you've seen the original cord grip for this type of plug. It was a pair of discs of grey fibrous sheet similar the material of fibre washers or Presspahn insulation. The discs were hinged together at one edge. The outer one was an annulus, like a washer and the inner one was a disc with three small semi-circular notches at the edge set at 120 degrees.

The weakness of the arrangement was that only a very short length of the outer sleeve of the cable could be inside the plug cap - usually the insulation of the cores would be exposed. One way round this is to fit a sleeved grommet, as on the miniature version of the same plug, but the thickness of the cap is increased around the central hole making it difficult to fit a grommet.

PMM.
Old 17th Apr 2009, 1:30 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The best answer is the rather rare right angled version of the plug which has a proper cord grip. I have a few of the mini versions (used by the BBC with many of their white front units) and just one of the full size version.
Closed Thread