UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2009, 1:12 pm   #1
valveaudio
Hexode

Default LEAK TL12 PLUS Problem

Help!

I have a pair of TL12+ amplifiers. These have had all the resistors/caps replaced by someone.
One of these amplifiers works perfectly, but the other one "motorboats" at about 20Hz, apart from this it works OK.
The motorboating starts after a fairly high level signal is input and remains when the signal is removed.
All voltages are correct and the valves have been swopped between the amplifiers and all resistors & caps. check OK. The only way to stop the problem is to change the load and jumper to 4 ohms or to reduce the feedback by doubling the value of the feedback resistor, which in turn gives a natural increase in gain and distortion.

This is driving me nuts! am I missing something?
Any ideas are welcome

Trevor
Old 13th Apr 2009, 1:29 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: LEAK TL12 PLUS Problem

Is the output transformer original and the right version? Did you replace the reservoir caps?
Old 13th Apr 2009, 2:24 pm   #3
barretter
Heptode

What are the values of the bypass capacitors on the cathode resistors of the EL84s? If they are too high this can cause motor-boating.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 3:14 pm   #4
AVO_VCM163
Retired Dormant Member

When in the "boating mode" try the effect of a parallel C of 10 microfarads or more across the 8 and/or 16 microfarad HT filter caps.

If this does not cure it, check the earthing at the filter capacitors. Remove and clean the solder tag and chassis connection.

R
Old 13th Apr 2009, 3:42 pm   #5
valveaudio
Hexode

Ok, thanks for the replies, it's fixed, a leaky coupling cap on the EF86.

This was a brand new one fitted by me, this must have been the one in a million that failed in the MTBF tests, from now on I will check the new ones too if I have this kind of problem!

Trevor
Closed Thread