UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:02 am   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Component symbols and others

Hyas peeps. While in my quest to build my Tri band VHF Transceiver .. having trouble with the FM detector / IF stage.. I decided to look up SINAD measuring instruments and see if it could help.
I found a wonderful You tube piece that explained the SINADDER 3 and its uses, and.. the schematic. It looked quite a simple thing...I knocked up a pcb for the AGC amp and 1 Khz filter and Active rectifier. STUPIDLY.. I didnt do a bench "knock up" prior...as it was a commercial item
The first version didnt work as I had substituted the Quad opamp LM348 with the LM324 as I had them in stock.... they are both Single rail devices..so I thought a simple substitution was ok.
Second version. I substituted the Quad opamp with the dual LM358.... and knocked up the Active filter and rectifier. Both worked fine... so I made another pcb.... including the AGC amp.
Again.. failure.
So what was wrong ?? I was obviously missing something.
As this was an american circuit.. originally posted by Motorola.. I scrutinised the schematic again....
If you see the schematic added...The AC Gound and DC neg use different Ground / Earth symbols...... Stupidly.., when I had redrawn the schematic I used the same symbol for both......
Not blaming anyone but myself.... the americans.. use the symbol shown for a NEG connection, whereas I always used a -V symbol for opamp connections.
Hopefully this is a "heads up" to anyone else building OPamp based projects.. :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VER 3 sch.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	208309  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:13 am   #2
camallison
Heptode

Default Re: Component symbols and others

Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:20 am   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Don't know if you have it, but the manual is here

http://repeater-builder.com/test-equ...sinadder-3.pdf
Old 12th Jun 2020, 11:41 am   #4
Wendymott
Octode

Bloomin heck.. that was quick.. I just posted Thanks Terry.. I just had the schematic. I have substituted the split rail PSU for a DC/DC converter...Then a common ground is ok if I connect external items with a different ground.
I guess you either have one or use one... I was able to get a nice picture of the meter scale which I can use.... no point in re inventing the wheel.
73's

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 12th Jun 2020, 1:28 pm   #5
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

By pure chance, I was reading something the other day and it was mentioned, so I looked it up and found the manual
Old 12th Jun 2020, 3:44 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

That is a very unconventional way of using earth symbols, even for an American diagram. I would expect a 'V-' or '-12V' or similar symbol.

I use 3 different earth symbols on diagrams that I draw :

The 'downwards italic E' for 0V, common rail, logic ground, etc. May be connected to mains earth, may not. I put a letter alongside it where appropriate (e.g. an 'A' for analogue ground, a 'P' for power driver ground, etc. Normally all those are electrically connected, possibly at a 'star point' in the PSU)

The 'triangle of shortening horizontal lines' is for mains/chassis metalwork earth where is is distinct from the first ground.

The 'triangle' (the common American ground symbol) I use for a common rail that is most certainly NOT mains earth. For example the -ve side of the mains smoothing capacitor in an SMPSU.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:37 pm   #7
Wendymott
Octode

Glad its not just me then Motorola used those symbols on their instrument as well so I assume SINADDER just copied it.. although the circuits do differ. Sinadder pared it down a bit... especially on the AGC circuit.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread