UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2009, 7:01 pm   #81
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The oldest working Television in the UK

This is the show I'll be on at 1830 EST, 2330 BST. As It Happens on CBC Radio 1.
http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/about/index.html

Should be on their website tomorrow:http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/logs.html
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:00 am   #82
Tez Burke
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations Jeffrey, look forward to seeing it in action next time I take a look at that hall full of old tellies at the NMPFT here in Bradford.

Here's how our local paper the Telegraph & Argus reported it.

Best,
Tez.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:25 am   #83
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tez Burke View Post
....look forward to seeing it in action next time I take a look at that hall full of old tellies at the NMPFT here in Bradford....
Tez, contrary to what it said in the Daily Mail, my set will not be going to Bradford. I thought the Bradford Telegraph & Argus had reported that too but either I was deluding myself or they changed their website.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:50 am   #84
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

For those within range of Radio Solent (96.1Mc/s) I gather that they are broadcasting an interview with "the owner of the oldest TV set in the world"(*) shortly after 10.00 today.

(*) as stated on one of the preview slots.

Jeffrey, at this rate you will soon need to appoint your own press officer.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:55 am   #85
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

They're all reporting it as the oldest in working order - is that actually true, or are other's such as Panrock's as old?
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:58 am   #86
yagosaga
Retired Dormant Member

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post
For those within range of Radio Solent (96.1Mc/s) I gather that they are broadcasting an interview with "the owner of the oldest TV set in the world"(*) shortly after 10.00 today.
I believe the oldest functional electronic TV in the world is this one:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_1932.html

Maybe 1931 or 1932.

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 11:29 am   #87
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
They're all reporting it as the oldest in working order - is that actually true, or are other's such as Panrock's as old?
No less than nine 702's appear to remain; see http://www.earlytelevision.org/prewar_database.html

I presume the one that's actually the oldest of these will have the earliest serial number and may also bear the 240/405 line standard changeover switch. But again, some of these examples will not be working.

Whatever the truth of the matter, I am more than happy that Jeffrey has so ably risen to the task and is now bearing the burden of popularising this with the public.

Steve
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 11:51 am   #88
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As many members will know Jeffrey and his TV are pictured in next week's(25-31 July's) Radio Times, along with a short article.(See page 137) In the article it states that the 60gns price of the TV when new equals £3000 of today's money. I'd be more inclined to believe the £11000 equivalent price in the Daily Mail article. An average wage of around £3 per week in 1936 seems more likely to me than a wage of £11.10s., which would be about right for the mid 1950s!
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:01 pm   #89
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post
Not sure where they've got it from. There's the soundtrack of the BBC TV interview which isn't lot of good without pictures. The only other interviews I've done are with Australian and Canadian radio stations. Doing one with a station in Perth, Australia tomorrow.

I wonder if it's the Audioboo piece I did informally with Rory Cellan-Jones after the main filming. (Go on, google it, I'd never heard of audioboo either)

As for price comparisons, there are a whole variety of possible methods.
http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/ gives the following answers:

£3,068.22 using the retail price index £3,258.78 using the GDP deflator £11,635.67 using the average earnings £13,660.39 using the per capita GDP £17,691.68 using the share of GDP
Quote:
....and is now bearing the burden of popularising this with the public.
I don't claim my set is the oldest working set in somebody's home in the UK. I'm just the fool who volunteered If it came to a tight contest between Steve Ostler, John Wakely, David Looser and David Boynes I wouldn't like to be the guy who adjudicates. The criteria "working" and "in a UK home" will exclude a fair number of contenders.

I'll enjoy my 15 minutes of fame and then sink back into decent(?) obscurity.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:13 pm   #90
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

I reckon you're a shoe in for I'm a Celebrity ....
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:18 pm   #91
Aub
Nonode

Nice little piece in next week's "Radio Times"
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 12:20 pm   #92
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
I reckon you're a shoe in for I'm a Celebrity ....
No point in aiming low. I demand nothing less than my own show. Call it something like "A good Vintage" we'll scour the country for fellow enthusiasts (nutters) interested in all sorts of vintage things. I'll get my agent to pitch it to the broadcasters. Hang on a minute - I haven't got an agentYet.

I think we'll do John Wakely for the pilot. He's a handsome bloke with a good line in stories.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 7:59 pm   #93
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Obviously a Jewish conspiracy.

http://www.thejc.com/articles/tv-add...eveal-joy-sets

Rather more about MBL than me. Don't know where that figure of 500 prewar sets comes from. Possibly a typo or slip of tongue.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 8:02 pm   #94
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I think we'll do John Wakely for the pilot. He's a handsome bloke with a good line in stories.
Rather worried about the 'We'll do' bit...If you need an agent unfortunately my charges are higher than the usual 10%...Oh, reading this again I realize you have made a mistake. I don't know the 'handsome' John Wakely. Now 30 years ago, maybe.

All the very best with your popularity Jeffrey. Well deserved and I expect you have quite enjoyed it. Regards, John.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 8:44 pm   #95
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Obviously a Jewish conspiracy.

http://www.thejc.com/articles/tv-add...eveal-joy-sets

Rather more about MBL than me. Don't know where that figure of 500 prewar sets comes from. Possibly a typo or slip of tongue.
Perhaps there is a secret factory still producing pre-war sets
Trevor
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 9:41 pm   #96
paulsherwin

Try to stay reasonably on topic please folks.

Paul
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 11:04 pm   #97
FERNSEH
Dekatron

In todays Daily Mail Letters on page 59 a certain Joe Roper questions how it is possible for a 1936 405 TV receiver to work on the present 625 line system.
He writes: Jeffrey Borinsky's claim to have converted his 1936 TV to present use by fitting a digi to analogue converter (Mail) is unlikely to be the whole story. He goes on about the different characteristics between the two systems and that means a standard digi box would not work.

Mr. Roper seems to know a lot about the differences of the 405 and 625 line systems.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 11:31 pm   #98
tubesrule
Hexode

The official press release from DigitalUK actually mentioned that the 702 is a 405 line set and an additional converter was required. I suspect they didn't want people dragging 405 sets out of the loft, purchasing a Freeview box and then calling them for support when it didn't work.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/as...nner_FINAL.pdf
Old 24th Jul 2009, 6:32 am   #99
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I'm rather touched by this comment on the Mail website.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-set-1936.html

Quote:
My father bought a TV set in 1937 (one of the first in Bethnal Green). His brothers said it would be an ideal present for 'Flo' (my mother) as she was expecting their first child. All his brothers and his two sisters were constantly at our house with half the street watching the six by four inch screen. I used to sit on Alfie Bass's knee (he lived in the flat below us) and we were kept amused by the Popeye and Micky Mouse cartoons. A golden age compared to now.
- harry williams, Hythe, Kent, England, 20/7/2009 12:58
I tried to place a comment of my own a couple of days ago but the moderators have clearly rejected it. In 1937 my late father would have been living about a mile from Harry Williams. He also knew Alfie Bass (via Unity Theatre)

This is also proof that at least one pre-war set found its way into a poor area.
Old 24th Jul 2009, 8:32 am   #100
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Interesting , though presumably living in a poor area doesnt mean that you are poor .I have mentioned before my grandparents having a marconi/HMV table tv before the war a chippenham. Not poor, certainly not wealthy , but something to do with being in the trade .
Im amazed really at the amount of interest that this has caused world wide , great stuff .
re mr Roper , I assume more tec detail would have been in the articles etc , but people are imidiately turned off by it , so you rarely get much in this sort of thing , and its often wrong which is v annoying
Closed Thread