UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2006, 1:57 pm   #1
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Derwent TV

Hi all,

Does anyone know who the manafacturer Derwent is as I have an early 60's set either 17 or 19 inch screen (can't remember which) It is a 405 only set..... who made the chassis as mine has height problems and the name isn't in Radio and TV servicing volumes.

Cheers
Lee
Old 21st Jul 2006, 2:37 pm   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Derwent TV

Hi
As Derwent were unique, I think you will find that the chassis were made by Plessey.
Not a lot of help though

Cheers

Peter.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 3:04 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Wasn't Derwent Television owned by a company called Central Equipment Limited? I'm sure they made their own sets.
Of course I could be wrong.

DFWB.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 5:47 pm   #4
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all something at the back of my mind says Derwent were rental sets with Plessey chassis but I could well be wrong regards TVden
Old 21st Jul 2006, 8:43 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello,
This has cropped up before around 4 months ago I think. DERWENT as Fernesh has stated were known as 'Central Equipment' of Perivale. They made their own sets to the greater extent, renting them through their own outlets. They had a branch on Wimbledon Bridge. They were considered to be a bit 'up market' and being privately owned gave a very good 'homely' service.
Later models were rebadged Philips models. They were taken over by VISHIONHIRE a Philips company and faded away like so many others.. Regards, John. P.S. They had NO connections with DER.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 10:31 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Derwent TV did have a branch in Newcastle. I'm certain that the compnay was still making their own sets up to 1962/3. I don't think a dual standard range of sets was ever made, perhaps convertibles?

As HKshort says, they were a more upmarket TV rental company.

DFWB.
Old 24th Sep 2010, 3:51 pm   #7
G3UPW/PETER
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Just saw about Derwent. I worked for Derwent from 1945 to 1984 when we closed Perivale, if anyone's interested in the History. Managing Director was Henry Fletcher.

Began in 1937 at Perivale as Lease-A-Radio. Head office was Central Equipment Ltd., London Road, Liverpool. The name DERWENT comes from the Liverpool building which had in the doorway the name Derwent. Henry decided to keep the name. It started the trend to call nearly all our TV models names in the Lake district.
Old 27th Sep 2010, 8:36 am   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

That's interesting. There was another thread about a Bakelite radio. The same set seemed to have at least 3 different name badges on different examples. Mine is a Derwent. I didn't realise it was a rental set.
I would like to see a pic of the TV
Old 27th Sep 2010, 11:33 am   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

I seem to recall in the dim and distant past (I would have been about 9) that they had an outlet in Streatham Hill (London SW16) about a mile from where I used to live. Reason I remember this is that an engineer who worked there lived a few doors up from me and I used to play outside with his two kids. Once when it was raining hard he let us play indoors and he had the back off their TV....a Derwent rental set. I was sufficiently interested even in those early days to watch what he was doing.

Many years later I was aware that the shop had become Visionhire so that must be what happened to them. I remember the Philips 'Derwent' sets but prior to that, I think they were Plessey. 62/63 suggested by Fernseh would be about right date-wise.

SB
Old 28th Sep 2010, 11:07 pm   #10
Dr-Watts
Heptode

The radio is mine, still trying to find time to take it apart and get it running.
Dr. Dave
Old 28th Sep 2010, 11:21 pm   #11
Steve_P
Dekatron

Didn't OldTickTock have one too?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 6:59 am   #12
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

My time flies, certainly did that was when I joined 11 months ago. Sill not been able to find out any info about it other than what's already been mentioned.

The Tv's and radios keep popping up, did'nt you just get a derwent TV too Steve?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	derwent.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	40880  

Last edited by oldticktock; 29th Sep 2010 at 7:14 am.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 9:50 am   #13
Steve_P
Dekatron

Sort of. It's a Philips 210 chassis with Philips crossed off and Derwent written on in crayon, so to speak.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 29th Sep 2010, 4:07 pm   #14
tellyman
Retired Dormant Member

I only ever saw one of these Derwent sets. Got called out to a flat above a chinese restaurant in Southsea back in the mid seventies. I remember I couldn't repair it as it had E series valves in the uhf tuner instead of the normal P series that I carried.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 9:44 pm   #15
G3UPW/PETER
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Thats interesting.There was another thread about a Bakelite radio
Derwent made 2 Bakelite Radios. We called them the Major. We did some with Cream cabinets. Raymond Electric also made them they shared a part of the factory. Early models had the cabinets with speaker grills along left hand side, and all corners were rounded. Gamages at one time sold the early model. DC and AC models were made. Valves were U50/EL33/(6F6)/ 6Q7 EBC33 EF39 ECH35. DC models used 6.3volt .2amp heaters During the war radios were made with wooden Chassis and a rough box as cabinet.
Old 1st Dec 2010, 1:34 am   #16
HENRYARNOLD
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3UPW/PETER View Post
Ref Derwent at Perivale, can I help?
Hi Peter,
Did you work at Perivale or up at Liverpool? I am Henry Fletcher's grandson [the founder] and at some point in the near future I'm putting together something for the family about Derwent. It would be good to correspond.

Henry Arnold
Old 29th Jan 2011, 10:46 am   #17
G3UPW/PETER
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Henry,
Would be pleased to correspond. Spent nearly all my life at Perivale. Need to email or other means. Have a copy of The happy listener 1937.
Sorry for the delay, forgot to check these forums are all new to me.
Peter Smith
Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:47 am   #18
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Have not heard that name for years, takes me back to my childhood, in fact its one of the first shops I remember. There was a 'Derwent' branch in Bromley high street in the 1940/50s, on the corner of Ravensbourne road, opposite the Gaumont cinema which has long since dissapeared.

Peter
Old 29th Jan 2011, 3:17 pm   #19
G3UPW/PETER
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldticktock View Post
My time flies, certainly did that was when I joined 11 months ago.
Hi that Pic of Derwent radio was a pre war poss 1937-39
Just remember seeing a few about 1945 .I thought it was called the Olympic ?
Regards
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0007.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	45832   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	45833   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0009.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	45834  
Old 29th Jan 2011, 3:53 pm   #20
G3UPW/PETER
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
There was a 'Derwent' branch in Bromley high street in the 1940/50s, on the corner of Ravensbourne road, opposite the Gaumont cinema which has long since disappeared.
Hi Peter
I used to pop into the Bromley Branch quite a lot .I did the rounds of all the branches in the south of England.Got to know nearly all the engineers .Regent street branch had closed When I started there
Peter
Closed Thread