UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:27 am   #1
robreddog
Pentode

Default Any record deck recommendations anyone?

Hi, having refurbished a couple of valve radios and played with Bluetooth into the pick up input I reckon it's time to use them as designed with a record player, I remember wiring up the youth club disco equipment in the 60's with a pair of BSR decks built in to a wooden cabinet arrangement with some 12" speakers in a rudimentary box, well we were only 16 yrs old!!

Anyway Garrard decks seem to be available out there, would anyone like to comment on what to avoid, what's good, it would be just like me to buy something that you can't get parts for anymore.

Rob.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:39 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Any record deck recommendations anyone?

This question is wide open to multiple replies....if you intend to use the record deck with valve radios, you'll definately need one fitted with a crystal or ceramic cartridge.
What kind of music do you want - stacked 45s on an autochanger or LPs on a single player? I assume it will be for Mono only playback via the Radio's PU input sockets - is that so? We need you to give us a more precise description of your needs!
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:45 am   #3
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Garrard is a good choice you need to choose if you want a automatic changer or a single play non auto deck.
in autos theres the 2025tc, 3000
or the single play sp25
theres no new spares available today but theres plenty used parts about
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:49 am   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I can't help with deck recommendations I'm afraid (that is, in principle at least, a huge subject, depending on how good a result you want to achieve - there were so many different record decks for a reason !). However I'm not clear whether your youth club arrangement had the deck and speakers in the same cabinet/box. If it did then that immediately makes life more difficult for the record deck. The vibrations from the speakers will need managing if you want to avoid upsetting the deck's tracking.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 29th Jul 2020, 3:38 pm   #5
robreddog
Pentode

hi, well i did have a 1980's logic dm101,alphason goldring set up which i wish i had kept, but will be looking for something more in keeping with a 50's radio.
stereo or mono,manual would be best i think.
regards.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 3:39 pm   #6
robreddog
Pentode

hi, no the speakers were in corners of the room.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 4:30 pm   #7
Ekcoman
Heptode

If you want a bit of retro styling furniture to go 50's I'd go PYE BLACK BOX.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 4:49 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

No, I think the OP wants a deck to play through a valve radio - or does he?
TBH I think this Thread is a bit vague and may lead to many spurious suggestions....

From what I can deduce from your Post #5, what you really want is as follows: A manual only record deck (i.e. not an Autochanger) fitted with a Crystal (or Ceramic) cartridge that can play Mono or Stereo records back through your vintage valve (Mono) table radio. Now have I got this right?
Old 29th Jul 2020, 5:58 pm   #9
robreddog
Pentode

hi, no although i like the look of the pye black box, but i just want a record deck to play through the radio pu.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 7:16 pm   #10
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

It depends how much you want to spend as the sky's the limit! Really for home use the sweet spot is probably one of the better brands from the 1970s-80s. Some people go really wild over spending tens of thousands on decks, but it's really diminishing returns and I don't suppose it increases musical enjoyment very much beyond a certain point. With older equipment, I think that point is accessible spending less than £100, especially if you're competent at restoring and want a project.

I'm delighted with both my Rega P3 and my Goldring Lenco GL59 - a belt drive and an idler drive. If I were to get another, it would be a Lenco - they are right up there in build quality and solidity (v. heavy!) with Garrard 401s, but don't have the cachet of the name so don't attract nearly as many collectors. I renovated a Lenco L78 into a plinth for my girlfriend and bought it with another L70 for £90 the pair. Try finding a 401 for less than £800. I find the action of putting on the record part of the fun, so enjoy the mechanical '50s switches on the GL59 more than the sleekness of the Rega. I'm also playing the GL59 through a Ferrograph tape deck in my bedroom, so it's not exactly 'golden ears' territory, but I certainly love listening to my records on it.

Of course, as others have said it's horses for courses and your amplifier and setup will dictate to a certain extent what you get, and your budget certainly will.

Just remember to enjoy the music without getting too bogged down in gear!
Old 29th Jul 2020, 7:19 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Pretty much any BSR from the 1950s or 1960s would be fine.

Garrards are my favourite, but the pre-Autoslim ones are complex internally.

I don't know much about Collaros.

All will need stripping and servicing before use which is not rocket science but can be daunting.

Why not ask what people have available for sale?
Old 29th Jul 2020, 8:43 pm   #12
Techman
Dekatron

Avoid Collaro. Wonderful mechanisms, but the idler drive to the autochange mechanism is always duff.

Idlers can be a problem in other makes, but can usually be persuaded back into action by a little roughing up and cleaning.

Does it have to be an autochanger? What about the good old Garrard TA MK2 - single play, nice and simple, but the speed change mechanism usually needs freeing off, which can be a bit of a challenge to the uninitiated.

Any old deck you get will need some servicing to get it going properly.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 9:09 pm   #13
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreddog View Post
hi, no although i like the look of the pye black box, but i just want a record deck to play through the radio pu.
Well if you want the real deal then you want a "Plus a gram" built by Margolin (pre-Dansette but same company) to be amplified through a radio connection.
Old 29th Jul 2020, 9:34 pm   #14
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcoman View Post
Well if you want the real deal then you want a "Plus a gram".
I had one of those many years ago. It was single speed 78 rpm only.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 9:08 am   #15
PaulR
Dekatron

I have a Plus a Gram in the loft together with a Garrard RC88. The two are not actually together at the moment as the Plus a Gram has a broken RC72 in it. I wouldn't like to post them (that is how the RC72 got damaged) but if you would like to discuss a fairly nominal price for them send me a PM.

Edit - I have re-lubricated the RC88 and put a modern cartridge in it for 33/78. I cannot say I have stripped it down - you would understand why if you saw the mechanics of the RC88!
Old 30th Jul 2020, 11:22 am   #16
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreddog View Post
it would be just like me to buy something that you can't get parts for anymore.
That pretty much eliminates all turntables.

The old classics like Garrards aren't made any more, though there are aftermarket suppliers covering some spares for some models, but that means only the 301 and 401 and you won't like their prices.

There are modern turntables in current production, but whether the manufacturers will sell spare parts is an interesting matter. Has anyone tried to get spares for a Rega or a Project... or an SME! The former might just be in with a chance, the latter I expect is please return to factory for service.

Asking what doodad to get on this forum sets off an inevitable cascade of replies. Most people would be delighted if you got one of what they use. They're not trying to sell you theirs, it's just that their gregarious instinct would feel more comfortable in a larger herd. May I suggest the B&O 4000? Gorgeous looks, works beautifully, and an icon of design owned by the Louvre and the museum of modern art. But no, it would look completely out of place besides a classic period radio.

How about a Garrard SP25 (No, I've never had one) they lack the complications of the autochangers. They are reasonably civilised. You can even use a modern magnetic cartridge and sneak in a little preamplifier if you promise to tell no-one.

There are lots of SP25s around, and scrap ones provide spares.

David
Old 30th Jul 2020, 11:30 am   #17
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

It would help if you let the folks know what you want to play - new LPs? only 78s? Your mono collection? Is it important that it's from a certain era or style?

David's right about the gregarious bit - since most people are happy with what they have, they want you to be happy too!
Old 30th Jul 2020, 12:58 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
the Plus a Gram has a broken RC72 in it.
I'm not sure that deck would have been the original one, although it could have perhaps been fitted to one of the last ones made I suppose. Anyway, the OP will struggle with that one as they're only set up to play 10 and 12 inch records, being the first 3 speed deck after the 78 rpm only ones.

An RC88 would be a good possibility.

The SP25 would be very good, but perhaps not old enough and would look out of place. I bought one brand new back in the day and they are an autochanger, but without the stacker spindle, so don't actually autochange as such. They are a good deck with single play and arm lift, but always with automatic lift off and stop.

No parts are available for any of the old decks that the OP is likely to be thinking about, so ideally a scrap one for spares will be needed if if it's thought that spare parts may be required, or you will have to make or mend any parts you may need yourself, but the truth is that if the deck is OK to start with, then you're unlikely to ever need any parts - idler wheels are the only real weak link and they can be refurbished at a price.

The OP needs to decide what they really want, and to do plenty of research before making a final decision, or they could just go out and get a cheap and cheerful 3 or 4 speed old time deck from the 50s (which is the era when record decks were still being plugged into radios) and see how it goes - but any old deck is likely to need work.

You don't really want to be playing your mint prog rock LP record collection on any of these old decks, other than perhaps the SP25.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 1:22 pm   #19
PaulR
Dekatron

I think that the RC72 is original. There is nothing to show that it is a replacement. I agree that it isn't the best deck and the instructions to play 7" records are impractical. If the OP wanted the Plus a Gram I would include the RC88 and remove the RC72. As my mother used to say, it isn't eating anything in the loft, but if he would like to make the journey from Derby then it would be good for it to be put into use.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 1:40 pm   #20
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
the instructions to play 7" records are impractical.
Did they actually issue specific instructions for how to play 7" records on the RC72? It would be interesting to actually see them if they did. Obviously it can be made to play 7" records if you know what you're doing, but it's far from ideal.
Closed Thread