UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2014, 10:03 am   #21
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Ferguson 546T "Flight" 17" Portable

Cheers David, having found one I'll be replacing it later today. I note it's been replaced many years ago with a type known to cause trouble. Some valves in the set are "THORN" branded ones, including one of the EF80s, suggesting service into the '70s.

Many thanks also to John for your comments, this narrows down the search for a replacement CRT. I was tempted to fit a buzzer device around the CRT neck on a push to make basis! I had a similar problem with an AW47-91 many years ago.

The cabinet is going to be the biggest challenge as space is very restricted, the sound output PCL82 often gets knocked out of posistion on removing or re-inserting the chassis into the cabinet. It needs to be strengthened from the interior with ventilation holes cut out once set.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Brian
Old 18th May 2014, 9:11 pm   #22
Focus Diode
Octode

Further work this evening. The chief suspect for the non linearity C96 (100mfd) was replaced. This made a big difference, the linearity was worse than ever!

Just to be sure a new PCL82 frame osc/output valve was tried, no difference. It just had to be resistors....

R125 (100K) feed to the linearity control was within tolerance, yet edging upwards in value. R127 (270K) was high at 340K. R121 from the height control had more than doubled in value from the correct 330K. Replacing these then carrying out adjustments sorted matters out in the frame department.

Lack of width remains however, the boost volts are near correct and the width control set to maximum. I'll look into this next time as it started to get dark.

Had the set running for a good hour with everything working well, allowing for the slight lack of width.

The photos also show the inside of the cabinet, note the Duck tape is temporary! The gold effect around the cabinet and on the fine tuner knob should respond to re-spraying.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet interior.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	93108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	93109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen view.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	93110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	93111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Channel Display.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	93112  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 18th May 2014 at 9:22 pm.
Old 19th May 2014, 8:56 am   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Check that the linearity sleeve has not been pushed into the scanning coils too far. It only needs to be a small amount to have quite a dramatic effect. John. []Looks good! They perform very well and once sorted, reliable.]
Old 20th May 2014, 2:00 pm   #24
nigelr2000
Heptode

Just found a couple of PCC89's. If you still want one send me a PM
Old 20th May 2014, 10:01 pm   #25
Focus Diode
Octode

Cheers Nigel, I'll send you a PM shortly.

The linearity sleeve is a strong possibility John, I also have to replace C70 which was delayed having no 0.22mfd capacitors. I'll sort it tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 22nd May 2014, 8:20 pm   #26
Focus Diode
Octode

Another session this evening. A 0.35mfd capacitor was fitted in the C70 posistion so I thought a 0.47mfd would be OK. There was also a 0.5mfd wax capacitor hiding on the LOPT so this was also replaced.

The width is now a lot better. The linearity sleeve is missing from the set!
Still some issues to deal with but it's starting to look good.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	93263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	93264  
Old 29th May 2014, 11:16 am   #27
Tazman1966
Nonode

Very good line lin considering there's no sleeve, Brian. Nice set. I have the "normal" 506 version.
Old 5th Jun 2014, 9:20 am   #28
Focus Diode
Octode

Thanks Tas, I think I may need to get out the spirit level as the whole image appears a little slanted to the right. A touch of the scan coils is probably all that's needed.

I remember reading a "Your Problems Solved" concerning a BRC 900 or 950 set fitted with a replacement Mullard CRT. The owner was unable to re-fit the linearity sleeve having found the neck slightly thicker than on the original Mazda CRT. The advice given was it can be safely omitted as, "The linearity will be acceptable without it".

Getting back to the 546T, when time permits work on the cabinet will commence. I'll be providing an update when works starts.

Incidentally the set came with a protective cover, I don't think it's original, possibly being made especially for the set!

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Focus Diode; 5th Jun 2014 at 9:30 am.
Old 5th Jun 2014, 2:27 pm   #29
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
Incidentally the set came with a protective cover, I don't think it's original, possibly being made especially for the set!
I hope they took it off to watch it..J.
Closed Thread